Do Cauchy sequences always converge?

In summary, the sequence converges to either 1 or -1, depending on the sign of the real part of the complex number.
Calabi
Hello evry body let be $(u_{n}) \in \mathbb{C}^{\matbb{N}}$
with $u_{n}^{2} \rightarrow 1$ and $\forall n \in \mathbb{N} (u_{n+1) - u_{n}) < 1$.
Why does this sequences converge please?

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calabi said:
Hello evry body let be $(u_{n}) \in \mathbb{C}^{\matbb{N}}$
with $u_{n}^{2} \rightarrow 1$ and $\forall n \in \mathbb{N} (u_{n+1) - u_{n}) < 1$.
Why does this sequences converge please?

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

Why don't you fix the Latex?

PeroK said:
Why don't you fix the Latex?
Plus consider please whether the difference ##(u_{n+1} - u_{n}) < 1## shouldn't be better ##|u_{n+1} - u_{n}| < 1##

It would be better indeed. And how to put the latex here please?

Thank you in advance and have a good afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

Calabi said:
It would be better indeed. And how to put the latex here please?

Thank you in advance and have a good afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

You double your dollars!

PeroK said:
You double your dollars!
If it was that easy ...

Last edited:
So did anyone has a solution please?

Ok, I fixed Calabi's TeX-notation. See and learn...

"Hello evry body let be ##(u_{n}) \in \Bbb{C}^{\Bbb{N}}##
with ##u_{n}^{2} \rightarrow 1## and ##\forall n \in \Bbb{N}\,(u_{n+1}-u_{n})<1##.
Why does this sequences converge please?"

For large ##n##, ##u_n^2## is close to ##1##. What can you then say about ##u_n## for large ##n##? Can the sign of ##u_n## alter for large ##n##, considering that ##u_{n+1}-u_n<1##?

Calabi said:
So did anyone has a solution please?
It's good to see that the quality of the discussion in the technical math sections has reached a new high.

i know what you mean but, in general, complex numbers have no "sign", so your nice hint needs a modified formulation.

Hello every one sorry Kyrlov I should give what I search on this exercicse even if it's wrong,
so as $$u_{n}^{2} \rightarrow 1$$ we can say that $$\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists N \in \mathbb{N} / n > N \Rightarrow |u_{n}^{2} - 1| < \epsilon$$. As Erland said it could be a story of sign but we're in $$\mathbb{C}$$.

Ah, OK, but in that case, the condition ##u_{n+1}-u_n<1## is meaningless, since order does not exist between complex numbers. Presumably, Calabi meant ##|u_{n+1}-u_n|<1##. If so, let us instead ask if the sign of the real part of ##u_n## can alter for large ##n##...

Are the ##u_n##:s close to some particular set of numbers for large ##n##?

Ther's 2 possible of numbers -1 or 1. Like the square of u converge in 1 and as $$|u_{n+1} - u_{n}| < 1$$ the term of $$u_{n}$$
are in one neighbourhood of 1 or -1 I see it but I can't say it good.

Yes, if we choose small neighborhoods of ##1## and ##-1##, all ##u_n## is in one of them, not the other, for all sufficiently large ##n##, since otherwise we would have ##|u_{n+1}-u_n|\ge 1## for some ##n##. This holds for arbitrarily small neighborhoods of ##1## or ##-1##, so the sequence converges to ##1## or ##-1##. It just remains to make this argument formal.

Yeah but it's this formalism I can't wright.

Calabi said:
Yeah but it's this formalism I can't wright.
Try! How would you begin?

We can do it in the absurd way : let suppose for exemple that $$\exists \epsilon > 0/ \forall N \in \matbb{N} \exists n > N / |u_{n} - 1| > \epsilon (1)$$. For this $$\epsilon > 0, \exists N \in \mathbb{N} / n > N \Rightarow |u_{n}^{2} - 1| < \epsilon $$.
For this N we can find n as in (1). For this n $$|u_{n+1} - u_{n}| < 1$$.
Hum.
I don't see the absurdity.

Hmm, this might lead somewhere. What if you also consider the corresponding relation as your first one but for -1 instead of 1? Also, what if the ##\epsilon##:s you use are unequal, but perhaps related in some way?

Calabi said:
Hello every one sorry Kyrlov I should give what I search on this exercicse even if it's wrong,
so as $$u_{n}^{2} \rightarrow 1$$ we can say that $$\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists N \in \mathbb{N} / n > N \Rightarrow |u_{n}^{2} - 1| < \epsilon$$. As Erland said it could be a story of sign but we're in $$\mathbb{C}$$.

Can you see why ##u_n## converges? If not, you'll never prove it using ##\epsilon##.

I'd draw a diagram for ##u_n^2## and try to see geometrically why ##u_n## must converge. Once you understand that, you can try to translate it into a formal ##\epsilon## proof.

I made a proof : I whright it in french but the idea : for a big N I've got forall n > N $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} < |u_{n}| < \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}$$. Then by recurrence I show that all the $$u_{n}$$ have a constant sign by using the hypothesis that $$|u_{n+1} - u_{n}| < 1$$.
So as $$\sqrt{u_{n}^{2}} = |u_{n}|$$ twoo case : if u is positive it convegre in 1 otherwise in -1.
That was for $$\mathbb{R}$$.
In $$\mathbb{C}$$ I can do a similar geometric prof.

Calabi said:
I made a proof : I whright it in french but the idea : for a big N I've got forall n > N $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} < |u_{n}| < \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}$$. Then by recurrence I show that all the $$u_{n}$$ have a constant sign by using the hypothesis that $$|u_{n+1} - u_{n}| < 1$$.
So as $$\sqrt{u_{n}^{2}} = |u_{n}|$$ twoo case : if u is positive it convegre in 1 otherwise in -1.
That was for $$\mathbb{R}$$.
In $$\mathbb{C}$$ I can do a similar geometric prof.

Yes, you can use the same idea for complex numbers.

Hint: for complex numbers ##|u_n^2 - 1| = |u_n - 1||u_n + 1|##

PeroK said:
Hint: for complex numbers |u2n−1|=|un−1||un+1|
And what you want to do with that please?

Calabi said:
And what you want to do with that please?

That's the algebraic key to this problem.

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the distance between any two terms becomes smaller and smaller as the sequence progresses.

2. Why is convergence important in mathematics?

Convergence is important in mathematics because it provides a way to determine the limit of a sequence or series. It allows us to understand the behavior of a sequence and make predictions about its future terms.

3. Can Cauchy sequences converge to a point outside of the original sequence?

Yes, it is possible for a Cauchy sequence to converge to a point outside of the original sequence. This can happen if the sequence is not contained within a specific interval, or if the terms of the sequence are not all defined at a certain point.

4. Do all Cauchy sequences converge?

No, not all Cauchy sequences converge. A Cauchy sequence is only guaranteed to converge if it is defined within a complete metric space. In other words, if all the points in the sequence are contained within a certain interval, then it will converge.

5. Are there any other conditions for Cauchy sequences to converge?

Yes, there are other conditions for Cauchy sequences to converge. In addition to being defined within a complete metric space, the terms of the sequence must also be getting closer and closer to the limit as the sequence progresses. If these conditions are not met, the sequence may not converge.