Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy sequences or not

1. Dec 7, 2015 #1
    Hello evry body let be $(u_{n}) \in \mathbb{C}^{\matbb{N}}$
    with $u_{n}^{2} \rightarrow 1$ and $\forall n \in \mathbb{N} (u_{n+1) - u_{n}) < 1$.
    Why does this sequences converge please?

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you fix the Latex?

4. Dec 7, 2015 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Plus consider please whether the difference ##(u_{n+1} - u_{n}) < 1## shouldn't be better ##|u_{n+1} - u_{n}| < 1##

5. Dec 7, 2015 #4
    It would be better indeed. And how to put the latex here please?

Thank you in advance and have a good afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

6. Dec 7, 2015 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You double your dollars!

7. Dec 7, 2015 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If it was that easy ....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  8. Dec 10, 2015 #7
    So did anyone has a solution please?

9. Dec 10, 2015 #8

Erland

Science Advisor

Ok, I fixed Calabi's TeX-notation. See and learn...

"Hello evry body let be ##(u_{n}) \in \Bbb{C}^{\Bbb{N}}##
    with ##u_{n}^{2} \rightarrow 1## and ##\forall n \in \Bbb{N}\,(u_{n+1}-u_{n})<1##.
    Why does this sequences converge please?"

For large ##n##, ##u_n^2## is close to ##1##. What can you then say about ##u_n## for large ##n##? Can the sign of ##u_n## alter for large ##n##, considering that ##u_{n+1}-u_n<1##?

10. Dec 10, 2015 #9

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's good to see that the quality of the discussion in the technical math sections has reached a new high.

11. Dec 10, 2015 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i know what you mean but, in general, complex numbers have no "sign", so your nice hint needs a modified formulation.

12. Dec 11, 2015 #11
    Hello every one sorry Kyrlov I should give what I search on this exercicse even if it's wrong,
    so as $$u_{n}^{2} \rightarrow 1$$ we can say that $$\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists N \in \mathbb{N} / n > N \Rightarrow |u_{n}^{2} - 1| < \epsilon$$. As Erland said it could be a story of sign but we're in $$\mathbb{C}$$.

13. Dec 11, 2015 #12

Erland

Science Advisor

Ah, OK, but in that case, the condition ##u_{n+1}-u_n<1## is meaningless, since order does not exist between complex numbers. Presumably, Calabi meant ##|u_{n+1}-u_n|<1##. If so, let us instead ask if the sign of the real part of ##u_n## can alter for large ##n##...

14. Dec 11, 2015 #13

Erland

Science Advisor

Are the ##u_n##:s close to some particular set of numbers for large ##n##?

15. Dec 11, 2015 #14
    Ther's 2 possible of numbers -1 or 1. Like the square of u converge in 1 and as $$|u_{n+1} - u_{n}| < 1$$ the term of $$u_{n}$$
    are in one neighbourhood of 1 or -1 I see it but I can't say it good.

16. Dec 11, 2015 #15

Erland

Science Advisor

Yes, if we choose small neighborhoods of ##1## and ##-1##, all ##u_n## is in one of them, not the other, for all sufficiently large ##n##, since otherwise we would have ##|u_{n+1}-u_n|\ge 1## for some ##n##. This holds for arbitrarily small neighborhoods of ##1## or ##-1##, so the sequence converges to ##1## or ##-1##. It just remains to make this argument formal.

17. Dec 11, 2015 #16
    Yeah but it's this formalism I can't wright.

18. Dec 11, 2015 #17

Erland

Science Advisor

Try! How would you begin?

19. Dec 11, 2015 #18
    We can do it in the absurd way : let suppose for exemple that $$\exists \epsilon > 0/ \forall N \in \matbb{N} \exists n > N / |u_{n} - 1| > \epsilon (1)$$. For this $$\epsilon > 0, \exists N \in \mathbb{N} / n > N \Rightarow |u_{n}^{2} - 1| < \epsilon $$.
    For this N we can find n as in (1). For this n $$|u_{n+1} - u_{n}| < 1$$.
    Hum.
    I don't see the absurdity.

20. Dec 11, 2015 #19

Erland

Science Advisor

Hmm, this might lead somewhere. What if you also consider the corresponding relation as your first one but for -1 instead of 1? Also, what if the ##\epsilon##:s you use are unequal, but perhaps related in some way?

21. Dec 11, 2015 #20

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you see why ##u_n## converges? If not, you'll never prove it using ##\epsilon##.

I'd draw a diagram for ##u_n^2## and try to see geometrically why ##u_n## must converge. Once you understand that, you can try to translate it into a formal ##\epsilon## proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook