1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy Sequences Triangle Inequality.

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    assuming an and bn are cauchy, use a triangle inequality argument to show that cn=
    | an-bn| is cauchy

2. Relevant equations

an is cauchy iff for all e>0, there is some natural N, m,n>=N-->|an-am|<e

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am currently trying to work backwards on this one, since we know
    for some m,n>=N where N is a natural
    2e>|-an+am|+|bn-bm|
    Thus, through the triangle inequality this is >=|am-an+bn-bm|=|(bn-an)-(bm-am)|>=|bn-an|-|bm-am|.

Am I going completely wrong somewhere, because I am getting very stuck here. To anyone who answers, please only hints, not full answers (I am sure this is customary). Again, many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two quick comments:

I would have said that [itex]|a_n-a_m|< \epsilon / 2[/itex] and [itex]|b_n-b_m|< \epsilon /2[/itex] just to get [itex]|(a_n-b_n)-(a_m-b_m)|<\epsilon[/itex].

Here's a nitpicky thing that your professor might correct (mine would have). Once [itex]\epsilon >0[/itex] is given, there's no reason to think that the same [itex]N[/itex] will work for both sequences. So I would have said that there exists [itex]N_1[/itex] for one sequence and [itex]N_2[/itex] for the other, such that blah blah blah... Then I would have let [itex]N=max\{N_1,N_2\}[/itex].

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    Yeah, my instructor does require this also. I can't believe the anguish this is causing me, It must be a very simple problem, and no one asked about it in class. Right now, I am supposed to be reading a history book, but this problem is back there bugging me.

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4
    Not to imply that anyone read this incorrectly, but the problem is cn=abs(an-bn) not just an-bn. Just entered my head that this might not have been emphasized.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook