Cauchy's Integral Formula problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a holomorphic function on a complex plane and its relationship to Cauchy's Integral Formula. The goal is to show that the function is everywhere zero, with the use of estimation lemmas and Riemann's theorem. The conversation outlines different approaches and strategies to solve the problem, ultimately arriving at a solution that involves showing that the function is holomorphic in any neighborhood of 0.
Gavins

Homework Statement

Suppose f is a holomorphic function on U = C - {0} and that
[tex]| f(z) | \leq | z |^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]
for all z in U. Show that f is everywhere zero.

Homework Equations

That question is supposed to require Cauchy's Integral Formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

Choose R>0 and take points a in the disc D(0,R) such that by Cauchy's Integral Formula,
[tex] |f(a)| = | \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{\partial D} \frac{f(z)}{z-a} dz| \leq \max |\frac{f(z)}{z-a}| 2\pi R[/tex]
I'm stuck on finding the max. I'm guessng I use the assumption but some help would be good. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You don't want to pick a point a in D(0,R). Rather, you want consider a in U and the disc D(a,R) where R > 0 (sufficiently small so D(a,R) does not intersect 0). Parametrize the boundary circle of the disc D(a, R) and you'll see why this takes care of the z-a in the denominator of the integrand. Then apply the given condition.

Also you need to determine f(0) separately, but why is f(0) = 0?

Thanks. So doing what you've said,
[tex] f(a) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{\partial D} \frac{f(z)}{z -a}dz = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{f(a + Re^{i\theta})}{Re^{i\theta}} iRe^{i\theta} d\theta = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(a + Re^{i\theta}) d\theta [/tex]
where I have parametrised the contour as c = a + Re^iO.

The estimation lemma gives,
[tex] |\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(a + Re^{i\theta}) d\theta| \leq \max |f(a+Re^{i\theta})| 2\pi R = |a + Re^{i\theta}|^{\frac{1}{2}} 2 \pi R[/tex]

Now what?

If that were true, that would be great since we could let R tend to 0, so that f(a) = 0. But unfortunately, you can't apply the estimation lemma to a real integral, so that extra [itex]2\pi R[/itex] term should not be there. The final bound should have been just [itex]|a+ Re^{i\theta}|^{1/2}[/itex] but actually now it's apparent this bound is useless (we can't make |f(a)| arbitrarily small). But at least now you get the idea of what we're trying to do.

Actually showing f(0) = 0 first is probably best, because then from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removable_singularity#Riemann.27s_theorem" we see that f is actually holomorphic on C, not just U = C - {0}. Then if you know the general Cauchy formula, you can show f' is identically equal to zero, which implies f is constant and hence identically equal to 0 (since f(0) = 0).

Your original estimate seems promising since you can bound the 1/|z-a| term using the reverse triangle inequality [itex]|z-a| \geq |z| - |a|[/itex] and then let R go to zero, but the problem is that you fixed a point a already so it doesn't make sense to make the circles smaller and smaller by letting R to go zero.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been following the thread.. seems interesting. Will the f(0) = 0 argument work? We only know that [tex] |f(z)| \le |z|^{1/2} [/tex] on [tex] \mathbb{C} \backslash \{0\} [/tex].. or does the fact that f is holomorphic make it work?

@xeno_gear, I think it works though this is the first time I've actually used Riemann's theorem. You can check that criterion 3 and 4 hold, so we have a holomorphic extension to C. I don't know I was anticipating a flaw in this argument.

@Dickfore, yes this is the approach outlined in my last post, but obviously to use any of this you need to know how f behaves at 0, which is the only tricky part about this problem. That estimate in the proof of Liouville is Cauchy's estimate, and basically takes care of problems like these in under a minute provided you know f is well-behaved on your domain.

Hint: It's holomorphic in any neighborhood of 0.

1. What is Cauchy's Integral Formula problem?

Cauchy's Integral Formula problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the value of a complex function at a point within a closed contour, using the values of the function and its derivatives on the contour. It is an important tool in complex analysis and has many applications in physics and engineering.

2. How is Cauchy's Integral Formula problem solved?

To solve Cauchy's Integral Formula problem, we first need to express the given function as a Laurent series. Then, we use the Cauchy Integral Formula to find the value of the function at the desired point. This involves integrating the Laurent series over the contour and using the values of the function and its derivatives on the contour to obtain the final result.

3. What is the significance of Cauchy's Integral Formula problem?

Cauchy's Integral Formula problem is significant because it allows us to calculate the value of a complex function at any point within a contour, without having to know the function's values at that particular point. This makes it a powerful tool in solving many problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. What are some common applications of Cauchy's Integral Formula problem?

Some common applications of Cauchy's Integral Formula problem include calculating the values of complex integrals, solving differential equations, and finding the values of complex functions at specific points. It is also used in the study of conformal mappings and the behavior of analytic functions.

5. Are there any limitations to Cauchy's Integral Formula problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to Cauchy's Integral Formula problem. It can only be applied to functions that are analytic within the contour, and the contour must be simple and closed. Additionally, the function must have a finite number of singularities within the contour. If these conditions are not met, Cauchy's Integral Formula may not give accurate results.