Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Celebrities having an interest in the hard sciences

1. Mar 8, 2017 #1
    And I am not talking about celebrities such as someone like Stephen Hawking, who are famous scientists. I am talking about those that are people you'd never expect having an interest in mathematics, chemistry, physics, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2017 #2
  4. Mar 8, 2017 #3
    Interesting. But then again, he seems more than likely to be interested as opposed to someone like say, Britney Spears.

5. Mar 8, 2017 #4

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Natalie Portman comes to mind. Brian May has a PhD in Astrophysics. Mayim Bialik has a PhD in neuroscience.

6. Mar 8, 2017 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

7. Mar 8, 2017 #6
    Alan Alda . In 2012 actor Alan Alda started a competition in which scientists are asked to explain by whatever means a designated phenomenon or concept to 11 year olds. The explanations are judged by students whose schools are participating in the competition worldwide some 26,000 students so far.

This year the challenge is "What is Energy?"

8. Mar 8, 2017 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

Hedy Lamarr was said to be a famous, old school Hollywood actress. Let's check her bonafides:

1. Starred in many big box office movies, including the classic Samson and Delilah: check
    2. Married six times, last to her divorce lawyer: check
    3. Invented spread spectrum communication devices, specifically frequency hoppers in WWII for torpedoes: ???

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr#Inventor

9. Mar 8, 2017 #8

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

10. Mar 8, 2017 #9

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

It's also worth pointing out that Alan Alda was for many years the host of the PBS series Scientific American Frontiers, where he would be out there interviewing and interacting with scientists.

11. Mar 8, 2017 #10
    Interesting. What subject is Natalie Portman's interest?

12. Mar 8, 2017 #11

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

If I recall, Natalie Portman majored in psychology at Harvard (which some may consider to fall under the "softer" sciences).

13. Mar 8, 2017 #12
    Anyone who has like a deep passion for mathematics?

14. Mar 8, 2017 #13

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I've read an article in Scientific American about Lamarr's invention of the spread spectrum communication device (with the help of composer George Antheil). It's interesting to note that the US Navy wasn't receptive to considering inventions from outside the military during WWII, and it wasn't until 1962 that the Navy implemented their version of the design on their ships.

15. Mar 8, 2017 #14

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

See post #5 above by @russ_watters .

16. Mar 8, 2017 #15

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Cindy Crawford had started a degree in chemical engineering.

17. Mar 8, 2017 #16
  18. Mar 8, 2017 #17
    I saw it but it doesn't seem extremely hardcore. I mean someone who went out their away and is a professional mathematician. Not just someone who writes math books for kids and happens to have bachelors in it.

19. Mar 8, 2017 #18

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Well, the OP was asking for celebs who had an interest in science. I was mostly thinking of her high school research paper.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed075p1270

She obviously had an interest in science at some point time. Even while I doubt it's her main focus or even a hobby, i'm sure she still watched the latest version of cosmos :).

20. Mar 8, 2017 #19
    It has to be a hard science. My friend who has no interest in science whatsoever did that.

21. Mar 8, 2017 #20

OCR

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted