Why premeds don't major in the hard sciences.(most of them)

• Programs
  • Thread starter Last chance U
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Major
In summary, Neil Degrasse Tyson discusses the intelligence levels of premed students compared to physics and engineering students. He also mentions that many premeds may take the easiest route in their undergraduate studies to maintain a high GPA, which may not necessarily prepare them for medical school. Additionally, Tyson points out that some patients may attribute their survival to supernatural intervention rather than the doctors' diagnoses, and he humorously suggests that some premeds who make it into medical school may not be that intelligent.
Last chance U
Neil Degrasse Tyson talks trash at premed students and doctors

Just out of curiosity, are premeds really like that? How smart is the average premed compared to let's say a physics student or engineering student. Any thoughts?

EDIT:I think someone posted this video before

SORRY if this was discussed before and I posted this thread in the wrong section =(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does he have hard evidence that the diagnoses and statistical estimates were wrong?

Last edited:
atyy said:
Does he have hard evidence that the diagnoses and statistical estimates were wrong?

I don't think so, I think Neil is just trolling lol. I guess being arrogant is a big part of being a physicist :smile:

Last edited:
Last chance U said:
I don't think so, I think Neil is just trolling lol. I guess being arrogant is a big part of being a physicist :smile:

OK, I'll excuse his behaviour then:) http://xkcd.com/793/

I recall my old roommate telling me of a question from an old mcat, which involved a simple application of Bayes' theorem, that something like 90% of test takers got wrong. I can't find the exact statistic for this now, though.

My impression is that, since a high gpa is crucial for getting into med school (it's worse in Canada), challenging yourself as an undergrad may very well sabotage your chances of getting accepted into a med school. I know a few really smart people that took full course loads with all the most difficult courses in their undergrad and weren't able to get into med school due to a low (~3.8) gpa (one went to med school in Europe), whereas I think a lot of people just do a bare minimum biology major with a 4.0 and they get accepted. That being said, my family doctor did math as an undergrad.

I don't doubt there are a lot of pre-meds who attempt to play the game of getting a high undergrad GPA by taking the preceived easiest route. I don't doubt that a similar phenomenon exists for students trying to get into graduate school. But I'd be really curious to see what the courses look like of those who actually get in.

I strongly suspect that, much like with graduate school, the ones who get in aren't so much those who tried to take easy courses. Rather, they are the ones who took what they were really interested in, and who had the right combination of smarts, self-disciplne, effort, and to some extent the luck of not having any major life crisis happen over that time period.

Also, you have to remember that the reason that most pre-meds are "bio-chem-psych" majors is not necessarily because they are somehow afraid of physics. Rather, they are interested in medicine and how the body works and they see those majors as the closest avenues to what they are interested in.

I look down on most premed students, they're far from real scientists

atyy said:
OK, I'll excuse his behaviour then:) http://xkcd.com/793/

:rofl: I forgot about that one!

It may also be worth pointing out that the point Tyson was making was in the context of patients believing in supernatural intervention in their health - that when people find themselves cured after being told that they only have 6 months to live that they are more likely to believe attribute their survival to a god rather than the doctors having got it wrong. In support of this he claims, rather comically, that having taught pre-medical students, he knows that some of the one ones that made it into medical school just aren't that smart.

1. Why do premed students tend to avoid majoring in hard sciences?

Many premed students choose to avoid majoring in hard sciences because these majors often require a significant amount of time and effort to complete, leaving less time for them to focus on their premed coursework and extracurricular activities. Additionally, some premed students may feel intimidated by the rigorous coursework and competitive atmosphere of these majors.

2. Are there any benefits to majoring in a hard science as a premed student?

Yes, there are several benefits to majoring in a hard science as a premed student. These majors provide a strong foundation in the natural sciences, which are crucial for understanding and excelling in medical school. They also demonstrate to admissions committees that the student is capable of handling challenging coursework and has a strong interest in the sciences, which can make them a more competitive applicant.

3. Do premed students need to major in a hard science in order to get into medical school?

No, premed students do not necessarily need to major in a hard science in order to get into medical school. Admissions committees are more interested in seeing that students have completed the necessary prerequisites, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics, regardless of their major. However, majoring in a hard science can provide a strong foundation for these prerequisites and may make a student a more competitive applicant.

4. Can premed students still take classes in hard sciences even if they don't major in them?

Yes, premed students can still take classes in hard sciences even if they don't major in them. Many premed students choose to minor in a hard science, while others may take individual courses to fulfill their prerequisites or explore their interests. It is also common for premed students to take elective courses in a hard science to supplement their major and demonstrate their passion for the subject.

5. Are there any alternative majors that can still prepare premed students for medical school?

Yes, there are many alternative majors that can prepare premed students for medical school. Some common options include majors in biology, biochemistry, neuroscience, and psychology. These majors still provide a strong foundation in the natural sciences and can fulfill the necessary prerequisites for medical school. Additionally, some students may choose to major in a non-science field, such as English or sociology, and complete their premed requirements through elective courses or a minor in a hard science.