1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass energy problem

1. Mar 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    While not explicitly a homework question, I am having some trouble with deriving expressions for the center of mass energy in a fixed target experiment versus a collider experiment. The question is effectively, "Derive an expression for the center of mass energy in a fixed target experiment and compare this to the center of mass energy in a collider experiment."

2. Relevant equations
    The momentum 4-vector. Also, the formula for center of mass energy ##\sqrt{s}=\sqrt{(p_1+p_2)^2}##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For a fixed target experiment, we have the two momentum 4-vectors, ##(\frac{E_b}{c},p_b)##, and ##(m_tc,0)##, for the beam particle and target particle respectively. Then, $$s=\frac{E_b^2}{c^2}+m_t^2c^2+2E_bm_t-p_b^2.$$

We can group the first and last term together to obtain ##m_b^2c^2+m_t^2c^2+2E_bm_t##. However, my textbook at this point claims that this is equivalent to ##2m^2c^2+2Em##. My question is then, would this not only hold true for ##m_b\approx m_t##?

Similarly, for a collider experiment, we have, ##s=(\frac{E_A}{c}+\frac{E_B}{c})^2\rightarrow s=\frac{(E_A+E_B)^2}{c^2}##. Again, my textbook claims that this is equivalent to ##\frac{4E^2}{c^2}##, which again I think, should only hold true for ##E_A\approx E_B##.

If I am not understanding incorrectly, why can these approximations be made?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They indeed seem to be assuming the masses to be equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted