Center of mass, Newton's third law, and rocket thrust

In summary: The exhaust moves to the left, the rocket moves to the right, and the center of mass of the rocket+exhaust system stays in the same place.
PhysicsKid0123
Can someone clarify this for me-- how is the motion of the center of mass unaffected by internal forces, as is stated towards the end of the paragraph in the picture I've provided. It seems to me that motion of the center of mass directly affected by these internal forces. Specifically, the center of mass moves or undergoes motion because of the force of thrust that emerges from the rocket, which by Newton's third law, there is an equal and opposite force that causes the rocket (and the center of mass) to move forward. Can someone clarify this point for me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 716
Science news on Phys.org
It would be nice to see the context of this equations. Consider this. A 200 kg astronaut throws a 1 kg hammer. Does the astronaut's center of mass move? What about the hammer? Ok. What about the combined system of astronaut and hammer as they are flying away from each other?

scottdave said:
It would be nice to see the context of this equations. Consider this. A 200 kg astronaut throws a 1 kg hammer. Does the astronaut's center of mass move? What about the hammer? Ok. What about the combined system of astronaut and hammer as they are flying away from each other?
Center of mass would actually move for the combined system of astronaut and hammer. These are slides which briefly paraphrase Goldstein's classical mechanics-- these equations is Newtons 2nd law for a system of particles.

PhysicsKid0123 said:
how is the motion of the center of mass unaffected by internal forces
If you are considering the center of mass of the rocket alone, the reaction force between the rocket and its exhaust stream is an external force.

Likes scottdave and Nidum
jbriggs444 said:
If you are considering the center of mass of the rocket alone, the reaction force between the rocket and its exhaust stream is an external force.
So Goldstein says: "In order that the motion of the center of mass (didn't make reference to just the rocket alone, it is kind ambiguous) be unaffected, the ejection of the exhaust gases at high velocity must be counterbalanced by the forward motion of the vehicle." Can you elaborate what is being said? Is this what you are saying?

PhysicsKid0123 said:
So Goldstein says: "In order that the motion of the center of mass (didn't make reference to just the rocket alone, it is kind ambiguous) be unaffected, the ejection of the exhaust gases at high velocity must be counterbalanced by the forward motion of the vehicle." Can you elaborate what is being said? Is this what you are saying?
Goldstein is considering the center of mass of the rocket plus exhaust stream. Accordingly, the force is internal and the center of mass is unaffected.

jbriggs444 said:
Goldstein is considering the center of mass of the rocket plus exhaust stream. Accordingly, the force is internal and the center of mass is unaffected.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. If the thrust force is internal, and by Newton's third law, there is the reaction force that moves the rocket, how does this not induce or affect motion of the center of mass? And by the way, thanks for helping me understand this!

PhysicsKid0123 said:
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. If the thrust force is internal, and by Newton's third law, there is the reaction force that moves the rocket, how does this not induce or affect motion of the center of mass?
The exhaust moves to the left, the rocket moves to the right, and the center of mass of the rocket+exhaust system stays in the same place.

Likes scottdave
PhysicsKid0123 said:
Center of mass would actually move for the combined system of astronaut and hammer.
I recommend working through my example to see how the center of mass postion changes. Say for 10 sec after the astronaut throws it and 100 seconds. Let's say velocity of the hammer is 20 m/s. What is the velocity of the astronaut?

1. What is the center of mass and why is it important in physics?

The center of mass is the point in an object or system where the mass is concentrated. It is important in physics because it allows us to analyze the motion and stability of objects.

2. How is Newton's third law related to rocket thrust?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a rocket, the rocket pushes exhaust gases downward, and the gases push the rocket upward with an equal force, providing the thrust needed for the rocket to take off.

3. Can you explain how the center of mass affects an object's stability?

The center of mass determines an object's stability. If the center of mass is above the object's base of support, the object will be stable. If the center of mass is outside of the base of support, the object will be unstable and likely to tip over.

4. How does rocket thrust allow a rocket to overcome Earth's gravitational pull?

Rocket thrust is greater than the force of Earth's gravity, which allows the rocket to overcome gravity and lift off the ground. As the rocket continues to accelerate, the thrust overcomes the gravitational force and allows the rocket to enter into orbit.

5. What factors affect the amount of thrust a rocket can produce?

The amount of thrust a rocket can produce is affected by the velocity of the exhaust gases, the mass of the exhaust gases, and the rate at which they are ejected from the rocket. The efficiency of the rocket engine also plays a role in the amount of thrust produced.