Center of mass of baseball bat problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
nns91
Messages
301
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A baseball bat of length L has a peculiar linear density given by [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex]0 * (1+X2/L2)

Find the x coordinate of the center of mass in terms of L

Homework Equations



Mxcm= mr

The Attempt at a Solution



So I use integration

The integrand I have is x*[tex]\lambda[/tex] dx and substitue whatever on the right side of the [tex]\lambda[/tex] equation in. Then I just took normal integral.

However I got wrong answer. The right answer does not contain [tex]\lambda[/tex]0 but mine does

Can you guys help me ??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to also do an integration to find the total mass, M. This will have a factor lambda_o that will cancel the one you have on the right side.
 
How do I integrate to find mass M ??

Do I plug in lamda formula*L for M or do I have to integrate lamda*L ??
 
M = int(lambda * dx) will do the job where you take the integral over the length 0 to L.
 
I got (L^2/2 +L^3/4)/(1+L^2/3)

But it's still not the answer in the book.

Did I do something wrong ??
 
You've almost got it looks like to me.
But the numerator should have been multiplied by x

yielding as an integrand x + x3/L2

that gives

x2/2 + x4/4 | from 0 to L or ... 3L2/4

The total Mass looks integrated a little off.

Shouldn't that be (L + L/3) = 4L/3 ?

Then dividing denominator into numerator

(3/4L2)/(4/3*L) = 9L/16
 
Last edited:
How can you get 3L^2/4 and 4L/3

I thought the integral of the total mass will yield L+ L^3/3 ?
 
nns91 said:
How can you get 3L^2/4 and 4L/3

I thought the integral of the total mass will yield L+ L^3/3 ?

The integrand for the volume of the mass is 1 +X2/L2 |evaluated between 0 and L

That yields the result X + X3/3L2 The 0 terms are of no account leaving L + L3/3L2 = L + L/3 = 4L/3

The integrand for the incremental moments is as I outlined previously.