1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Acceleration help!

1. Feb 4, 2007 #1
    "An Earth satellite moves in a circular orbit 597 km above Earth's surface with a period of 96.42 min. What are (a) the speed and (b) the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the satellite?"

Ok, so first I converted everything to standard units. I made a circle diagram with radius 597,000m and it's period is 5785.2 seconds. So to find the acceleration I had to find the velocity, which I had as v=(2*(Pi)*(597,000))/5785.2s and got v=648.39 m/s. Then to find the acceleration I used a=(648.39)^2/597,000 and got a=.704 m/s^2, which apparently is wrong. Can someone help me out? Also, what is the difference between the speed and magnitude? Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Since the satellite is orbiting above the earth the radius of its orbit must include the radius of the earth!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?