Centripetal Force Airplace Problem

In summary: Yes, I know. I'm ticked off now. Ruined weekend.Don't be discouraged. It's okay to make mistakes. Just keep trying and you'll get it right eventually.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

A 2000 kg plane does a vertical loop with radius 600 m at a velocity of 120 m/s. At the very top of the loop, what is the force from the air required?

Plane's mass = 2000 kg
Radius = 600 m
Velocity = 120 m/s

Homework Equations

F = (mv^2)/R
Wt = mg
Net F-sub y = ma = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

-Wt -Fcentripetal + Fair = 0

-19600 N - 48000 N + Fair = 0

Fair = 67600 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems right. Is that a question? Just to be complete in what direction does Fair push?

Dick said:
Seems right. Is that a question? Just to be complete in what direction does Fair push?

Fair would have to push in the positive direction, which in this case would be up.

Thanks for giving the wrong answer. It made me rethink my response and realize I was wrong as well. The total force on the plane to maintain it's centripetal acceleration is Fcentripetal. And it points inward towards the center of the loop. I.e. DOWN. Wt also points DOWN but is not enough. So Fair has to act DOWN to add to Wt to equal Fcentripetal. Can you correct your answer?

Dick said:
Thanks for giving the wrong answer. It made me rethink my response and realize I was wrong as well. The total force on the plane to maintain it's centripetal acceleration is Fcentripetal. And it points inward towards the center of the loop. I.e. DOWN. Wt also points DOWN but is not enough. So Fair has to act DOWN to add to Wt to equal Fcentripetal. Can you correct your answer?

Well, I got it wrong on the exam then. I thought Fgravity would contribute to the Fc but didn't use Newton's Law to reflect that. Dammit.

Fc isn't a real force. It's the value that the 'real' forces have to add up to to keep you in the circular trajectory.

Dick said:
Fc isn't a real force. It's the value that the 'real' forces have to add up to to keep you in the circular trajectory.

Yes, I know. I'm ticked off now. Ruined weekend.

That wasn't the whole exam, was it? If it makes you feel any better, remember I made the same mistake.

Dick said:
That wasn't the whole exam, was it? If it makes you feel any better, remember I made the same mistake.

No. There were four more questions. Well, I kept asking myself during the exam, shouldn't gravity contribute to the needed centripetal force? Ugh. It was a centripetal force, momentum, and conservation of energy exam. We even did this type of problem in class. Obviously, I didn't make sure I understood it completely. Making stupid mistakes like this in my first university level physics course initially makes we not want to keep going. So far, I've gotten an 85 and 90 on the first two exams.

Umm, you are too easily discouraged. You figured out what was wrong the instant I told you. I've had questions here that aren't that much more involved than yours. But I can tell them what they did wrong 5 times, and they still don't get it. The weird thing is that they are taking courses like 'string theory'.

Dick said:
Umm, you are too easily discouraged. You figured out what was wrong the instant I told you. I've had questions here that aren't that much more involved than yours. But I can tell them what they did wrong 5 times, and they still don't get it. The weird thing is that they are taking courses like 'string theory'.

Well, I'm discouraged because I knew how to do the problem correctly but didn't. I always get frustrated at myself. I made a few stupid mistakes on my first Cal 3 exam and ended up with an 87. Fortunately, I was more careful and got a 100 on the second Cal 3 exam.

1. What is centripetal force in relation to an airplane problem?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In an airplane problem, it refers to the force that keeps the airplane moving in a circular motion while in flight.

2. How is centripetal force calculated in an airplane problem?

The formula for calculating centripetal force in an airplane problem is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the airplane, v is the velocity of the airplane, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force in an airplane problem?

The centripetal force in an airplane problem is affected by the mass and velocity of the airplane, as well as the radius of the circular path. Other factors such as air resistance and wind speed can also impact the centripetal force.

4. How does centripetal force impact the flight of an airplane?

Centripetal force is essential for keeping an airplane in a stable circular motion during flight. Without it, the airplane would continue in a straight line instead of following a curved path.

5. What are some real-life applications of centripetal force in airplanes?

Centripetal force is crucial for many aspects of airplane flight, such as maintaining a steady turn, keeping the airplane in a stable orbit, and preventing stalls during sharp turns. It is also used in the design and testing of aircraft to ensure safe and efficient flight.