Centripetal Force, and Car Drifting Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces that keep a car on the road and the relationship between centripetal force and kinetic friction. It also mentions the acceleration of the car in terms of its speed and radius of the turn. The speaker points out the questions that need to be answered and clarifies that the car will experience static friction rather than kinetic friction in the first part.
SherlockIsReal
deleted

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any forces other than friction keeping the car on the road?

What do all the forces along road surface sum to?

What is the acceleration of the car in terms of its speed and radius of its turn?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Are there any forces other than friction keeping the car on the road?

What do all the forces along road surface sum to?

What is the acceleration of the car in terms of its speed and radius of its turn?

AM
Are you asking me what I think or are you verifying the question?

SherlockIsReal said:
Are you asking me what I think or are you verifying the question?
I am just pointing out the questions you need to answer. You have to do the thinking.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I am just pointing out the questions you need to answer. You have to do the thinking.

AM
My bad, and thanks!

Andrew Mason said:

AM
Would it be right to assume Force centripetal = Force kinetic friction, if the car were to achieve maximum speed? As for the second part, does it mean that the coefficient for kinetic friction has increased?

SherlockIsReal said:
Would it be right to assume Force centripetal = Force kinetic friction, if the car were to achieve maximum speed? As for the second part, does it mean that the coefficient for kinetic friction has increased?
Yes, centripetal force will equal frictional force, but I wouldn't call it an assumption. You can deduce it from the usual equations of dynamics.
It's a bit strange that the question discusses kinetic friction in the first part. Since no width of road is specified, you have to assume it does not skid in this part, so it will be static friction.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's constant speed and change its direction.

How does centripetal force work?

Centripetal force is caused by a combination of two forces: inertia and tension. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, while tension is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. When these two forces work together, they create the necessary centripetal force to maintain circular motion.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and car drifting?

In car drifting, the centripetal force is generated by the friction between the car's tires and the road surface. When the car is moving at a high speed and turns, the tires experience a force that pulls them towards the center of the turn. This force, along with the car's inertia, allows it to drift around the turn.

How does the speed of the car affect centripetal force and drifting?

The speed of the car directly affects the magnitude of the centripetal force and its ability to drift. As the car increases in speed, the centripetal force also increases, making it easier for the car to drift around turns. However, if the car is traveling too fast, it may lose control and spin out of the turn.

What are some safety precautions to take when performing car drifting?

Car drifting can be a dangerous activity, so it's important to take proper safety precautions. This includes wearing appropriate safety gear, such as a helmet and seatbelt, and ensuring that the car is in good condition. It's also important to practice in a controlled and safe environment and to always follow traffic laws and regulations.