1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Force, and Car Drifting Question

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1
    deleted

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2015 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are there any forces other than friction keeping the car on the road?

What do all the forces along road surface sum to?

What is the acceleration of the car in terms of its speed and radius of its turn?

AM

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3
    Are you asking me what I think or are you verifying the question?

5. Mar 6, 2015 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am just pointing out the questions you need to answer. You have to do the thinking.

AM

6. Mar 6, 2015 #5
    My bad, and thanks!

7. Mar 7, 2015 #6
    Would it be right to assume Force centripetal = Force kinetic friction, if the car were to achieve maximum speed? As for the second part, does it mean that the coefficient for kinetic friction has increased?

8. Mar 7, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, centripetal force will equal frictional force, but I wouldn't call it an assumption. You can deduce it from the usual equations of dynamics.
    It's a bit strange that the question discusses kinetic friction in the first part. Since no width of road is specified, you have to assume it does not skid in this part, so it will be static friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted