1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid and centre of pressure

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain why the distance between the centroid and the centre of pressure for a plane submerged fluid decreases as the depth of fluid increases.

I know that the centre of pressure for a plane submerged fluid is located below the centroid because pressure increases with depth.

But why is the distance between centroid and centre of pressure decreasing as the depth of fluid increases?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2
    Anyone?

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    Well I am looking for same answer and what I found out is if there is not a conrete example that you actullay tried to solve there is not much help on the basics on this forum...

5. Mar 14, 2011 #4
    its because y'cp=density*sin(theta)*I_xx/(P_CG*A) as the depth increases the P_CG increases causing the y'cp (the distance between the two points) to decrease

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook