CFM converted to m/s wind speed

In summary, a solid tube with 2 42" drum fans producing 19,000CFM each will have a velocity of 2.5 m/s at the end of the tube. Doubling up the fans will increase pressure but not volume, and would require new fan performance curves. It is recommended to contact a fan company to ensure proper sizing for the desired velocity of 7-9 m/s using 2 HP or less. The use of a smaller tube may also achieve this goal.
BigApple2625
Can you help with this question? I have a solid tube 10'D x 5'L with 2 42" drum fans in one end producing about 19,000CFM each. I need to know what the velocity will be at the end of the tube in M/S. Also, will the fans be more efficient if there is a seal around the opening where the fan housings are at?

Physics news on Phys.org
As a 'ballpark' figure if the fans are putting out 19,000 ft^3/min and that volume is going through a 0.5 ft^2 hole (ie pi * 5/12^2) then you will get 19,000 ft^3/min / 0.5ft^2 = 40,000 ft/min flow

In reality pressure changes, drag, back-pressure and non-linear flow will complicate matters

40,000 ft/min? Wholly mackerel! That's about M=.6

How about this:

[tex]v=\frac{Q}{a}[/tex]

[tex]v=\frac{2*19,000}{.25*\pi*10^2}[/tex]

[tex]v = 484 \frac{ft}{min}[/tex]

[tex]v = 2.5 \frac{m}{s}[/tex]

Like was mentioned though, the doubling up of fans will have an affect on the flow characteristics so this would be the absolute best you would ever see. In reality you would see less than this.

Oops - a bit of a Spinal-Tap stonehenge there

I mean, who decided that ' was feet and " was inches ?

If your doubling up your fans, pressure will nearly double but the volume will remain the same (with respect the performance curve), so you then need to work out a new fan performance curve. Also the one fan will need to be rotating clockwise the other anti-clockwise to avoid swirl.

Unless you have the performance curves for the fans, the you will just be guessing or your need to test them.

Last edited:
Turv said:
If your doubling up your fans, pressure will nearly double but the volume will remain the same, so you then need to work out a new fan performance curve. Also the one fan will need to be rotating clockwise the other anti-clockwise to avoid swirl.

Unless you have the performance curves for the fans, the you will just be guessing or your need to test them.
Would you recommend using a single fan instead of the 2 42" units and if so, what size would I have to use in order to match the output of the 2 units? My goal is to increase the velocity to approximately 7-9 m/s using no more than 2 HP. Maybe using a smaller tube would accomplish this?

Without the fan curves it is really pointless going through calculations, because they may not do that size, contact a fan company and give them the details you require.

mgb_phys said:
Oops - a bit of a Spinal-Tap stonehenge there

I mean, who decided that ' was feet and " was inches ?

Excellent reference.

1. What is CFM?

CFM stands for cubic feet per minute and is a unit of measurement used to quantify the amount of air that can be moved in one minute. It is commonly used in the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) industry to measure the airflow of a system.

2. How is CFM converted to m/s?

To convert CFM to m/s (meters per second), you can use the following formula: m/s = CFM x 0.00047. This formula is based on the conversion factor of 1 CFM being equal to 0.00047 m/s.

3. Why would I need to convert CFM to m/s wind speed?

Converting CFM to m/s wind speed may be necessary when working with different units of measurement or when comparing airflow data with other sources that use m/s as the unit of measurement. It may also be useful in determining the velocity of air in a specific space or system.

4. Is there a difference between CFM and m/s wind speed?

Yes, there is a difference between CFM and m/s wind speed. CFM is a measure of volume, while m/s is a measure of velocity. CFM is used to determine the amount of air being moved, whereas m/s is used to determine the speed of the air.

5. Are there any limitations to converting CFM to m/s wind speed?

Converting between units of measurement may introduce some limitations, such as rounding errors or differences in precision. It is important to use the appropriate conversion factor and to understand the accuracy of the original data before converting between units. Additionally, the conversion between CFM and m/s is based on a general formula and may not account for specific variables or factors in a particular system or situation.