CFT charge/transformation question

• Thread starter da_willem
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum mechanical relation in Conformal Field Theory where a conformal transformation in the field is equal to the commutator of the associated conserved charge with the field. The relation is similar to the relation in Quantum Mechanics between the time dependence of an operator and its commutator with the Hamiltonian. This relation is explained in Zee's QFT book and is important in understanding the role of conserved charges as generators of symmetries in field theory.
da_willem
Struggling my way through Conformal Field Theory before getting into strin theory I stumbled upon the following quantum mechanical relation:

[tex] \delta_{\epsilon} \phi (z, \bar{z}) = [Q_{\epsilon}, \phi (z, \bar{z})[/tex]

Thus some conformal transformation in the field (with parameter epsilon) is equal to the commutator of the associated conserved charge with this field. It reminded me of the relation in QM of the time dependence of an operator and its relation to the commutator with the Hamiltonian.

Can somebody tell me how the above relation is founded in QM/Noethers theorem/CFT ?

Physics news on Phys.org
da_willem said:
Struggling my way through Conformal Field Theory before getting into strin theory I stumbled upon the following quantum mechanical relation:

[tex] \delta_{\epsilon} \phi (z, \bar{z}) = [Q_{\epsilon}, \phi (z, \bar{z})][/tex]

Thus some conformal transformation in the field (with parameter epsilon) is equal to the commutator of the associated conserved charge with this field. It reminded me of the relation in QM of the time dependence of an operator and its relation to the commutator with the Hamiltonian.

Can somebody tell me how the above relation is founded in QM/Noethers theorem/CFT ?

It is explained (briefly) at page 74 in Zee's QFT book. Very roughly you know that for a conserved current the integral over space= the charge Q, is proportional to the canonical momentum conjugate to the field. Combine this with [x,p]=i and you are there.
And so the conserved charges are the generators of symmetries in field theory.

Good luck with the CFT's, it's hard work...

I read your reply and the page in Zee you mentioned and now it makes sense! I already had some feeling for the relation, but to see where it comes is great, thanks! Also for the 'good luck' part, I'll need it.

Last edited:

Related to CFT charge/transformation question

1. What is CFT charge/transformation in physics?

CFT charge/transformation refers to the concept of charge and transformation in conformal field theory (CFT). In CFT, a charge is a physical quantity that is conserved under the transformation of spacetime coordinates. These transformations preserve the geometric structure of the spacetime, and the charges associated with them are known as conformal charges.

2. What is the importance of CFT charge/transformation in physics?

CFT charge/transformation is important because it helps us understand the symmetries of spacetime and their corresponding conserved quantities. These symmetries and charges play a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as particle interactions and the behavior of black holes.

3. How are CFT charges and transformations related?

In CFT, there is a one-to-one correspondence between charges and transformations. This means that for every charge, there is a corresponding transformation that preserves the charge. Similarly, for every transformation, there is a corresponding charge that is conserved under that transformation.

4. Can CFT charges and transformations change?

While the mathematical framework of CFT remains the same, the charges and transformations can change depending on the specific system or theory being studied. For example, in different types of CFTs, the charges and transformations may have different properties and behaviors.

5. How does CFT charge/transformation relate to other areas of physics?

CFT charge/transformation has connections to many other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory, string theory, and general relativity. In fact, CFT is often used as a tool to study and understand these other theories, as it provides a powerful framework for describing and analyzing the symmetries and dynamics of physical systems.