Rope-Drive Bicycle: See How It Works!

• Thread starter Redbelly98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bicycle
In summary, the new design of bicycle uses a rope instead of a chain to propel the bicycle. It has several advantages over the traditional chain-driven bicycle, including no wear on the parts of the bicycle that are in contact with the ground, and the ability to fix the bicycle in any position.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
This looks pretty cool, a new design of bicycle that uses a rope instead of a chain. Here is a PhysOrg article that has some good videos showing how it works:

http://www.physorg.com/news204349619.html

Several videos are linked there, but the best (in terms of understanding the operation) appears just before the words "Another advantage of the system..."

Engineering news on Phys.org

Can't say I was able to understand details. Crank and front part are obvious, but what happens near the wheel axis is a mystery, as it doesn't show how the string behaves at the rear wheel axis.

This one seems better to me:

What I like most is that there is no overlap between these 19 gears, and shifting up/down is always done the same way, no need for tricks with front/back sprockets (I mean combinations of up/down done at the same time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Can't say I was able to understand details. Crank and front part are obvious, but what happens near the wheel axis is a mystery, as it doesn't show how the string behaves at the rear wheel axis.
It appears to be a ratcheting mechanism at the rear wheel. When the string is pulled forward it drives the rear wheel. During the return stroke, there must be a spring mechanism to rotate the small wheel (that the string is fastened to) backwards and keep the string taught; and if it is a ratcheting mechanism then no backwards torque is applied to the bicycle wheel during the return stroke.

I imagine one would carry a spare set of ropes around, just as I used to always carry a spare inner tube when I used to bicycle regularly.

Thanks. What I meant was that I couldn't make details from the first video, after seeing the second one it became obvious.

I am just back from biking, and while traversing a muddy puddle I started to think if it is really as good as they claim in such conditions. There is a strong friction and I would expect strong abrasion in the place where the force is transferred (sorry, my English fails me here). That means fast wear of two elements on each side.

This reminded me of one of the stories about Turing, when he was working as a code-breaker in WWII.

His bike chain broke, so tied the ends together with a piece of string (so the ends didn't touch the ground) and pedaled alternately forward and backward the correct number of revolutions so the string never reached the sprockets. This "fix" worked fine for several years, apparently.

It won't catch on until they find a way to add a differential, methinks.

1. How does the rope-drive system work on a bicycle?

The rope-drive system on a bicycle uses a series of ropes and pulleys to transfer power from the pedals to the rear wheel. As the pedals turn, the ropes move through the pulleys, causing the wheel to rotate and the bicycle to move forward.

2. What are the advantages of using a rope-drive system on a bicycle?

The rope-drive system offers several advantages over traditional chain and gear systems. It is lighter, quieter, and requires less maintenance. It also allows for a more efficient transfer of power, resulting in a smoother and faster ride.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using a rope-drive system on a bicycle?

One potential disadvantage of the rope-drive system is that it may be more expensive to manufacture and replace compared to traditional chains. Additionally, the ropes may stretch over time, affecting the efficiency of the system. However, these potential drawbacks can be mitigated with proper maintenance and high-quality materials.

4. Can a rope-drive system be used on any type of bicycle?

While rope-drive systems are not as widely used as traditional chain and gear systems, they can be implemented on most types of bicycles. However, they are more commonly found on high-performance bicycles, such as racing or mountain bikes, due to their efficiency and lightweight design.

5. How do I maintain and repair a rope-drive system on a bicycle?

To maintain a rope-drive system, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the pulleys and ropes. If the ropes become stretched or damaged, they can be replaced with new ones. It is also important to regularly check the tension of the ropes to ensure optimal performance. If any issues arise, it is best to consult a professional bicycle mechanic for repairs.