Is the Chain Rule Applicable to the Euclidean Norm in Calculating Derivatives?

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the correctness of two results and the use of an operator, which is defined as ##\nabla_{\mathbf{b}}##. The first result is confirmed to be correct and the second one involves calculating a scalar product.
SchroedingersLion
TL;DR Summary
Need some verification or corrections.
Greetings,

suppose we have 3d vectors ##\mathbf{x}_k, \mathbf{y}_k, \mathbf{b}## for ##k=1,...,N## and a 3x3 matrix ##\mathbf{W}## with real elements ##w_{i,j}##.

Are the following two results correct?
$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{b}} \sum_k ||\mathbf{Wx}_k+\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{y}_k||² = \sum_k 2(\mathbf{Wx}_k+b-\mathbf{y}_k)
$$
$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial w_{i,j}} \sum_k ||\mathbf{Wx}_k+\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{y}_k||² = \sum_k 2 (\mathbf{Wx}_k+\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{y}_k)\cdot
\begin{pmatrix}
0 \\
... \\
0 \\
x_{k,j}\\
0\\
...\\
\end{pmatrix}
$$

where the nonzero entry in the column vector is in row ##i## and where ##x_{k,j}## is the ##j-th## component of vector ##\mathbf{x}_k##.
Calculating the scalar product gives
$$
\sum_k 2(\sum_{n=1}^{3} w_{i,n}x_{k,n} +b_{i} - y_{k,i})x_{k,j}
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
SchroedingersLion said:
$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{b}} \sum_k ||\mathbf{Wx}_k+\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{y}_k||² = \sum_k 2(\mathbf{Wx}_k+b-\mathbf{y}_k)
$$
I have never seen the operator $$ \frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{b}} $$ before. Can you define it?
At first glance, the expression is not meaningful - but I am willing to suspend disbelief ...

Svein said:
I have never seen the operator $$ \frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{b}} $$ before. Can you define it?
At first glance, the expression is not meaningful - but I am willing to suspend disbelief ...
Oh, that is just a way of writing ##\nabla_{\mathbf{b}}##, sorry.

1. What is the Chainrule Euclidean Norm?

The Chainrule Euclidean Norm is a mathematical concept used to calculate the length or magnitude of a vector in a multi-dimensional space. It is a combination of the Chain Rule and the Euclidean Norm, which are both important concepts in calculus and linear algebra.

2. How is the Chainrule Euclidean Norm calculated?

The Chainrule Euclidean Norm is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of each component of the vector. This can be represented by the formula ||v|| = √(v1^2 + v2^2 + ... + vn^2), where v is the vector with n components.

3. What is the significance of the Chainrule Euclidean Norm?

The Chainrule Euclidean Norm is significant because it allows us to measure the distance or magnitude of a vector in a multi-dimensional space. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis.

4. How is the Chainrule Euclidean Norm used in real-world applications?

The Chainrule Euclidean Norm is used in various real-world applications such as computer graphics, machine learning, and optimization problems. It is also commonly used in physics to calculate the magnitude of forces and in engineering to measure the distance between two points in a multi-dimensional space.

5. What is the difference between the Chainrule Euclidean Norm and other vector norms?

The main difference between the Chainrule Euclidean Norm and other vector norms is the method of calculation. The Chainrule Euclidean Norm uses the Chain Rule, which allows for the calculation of the norm of a vector with multiple components. Other vector norms, such as the Manhattan Norm or the Maximum Norm, have different formulas and are used for specific purposes.