1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chances at San Diego

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    Hey all, Im just about a senior at a northern California university. I am going for a BS in the Advanced Physics area. I have a 3.2 right now and im not too proud of it. I have been involved in one project/paper with my professor for an AAPT national meeting in Philly. But I feel like I'm losing interest in my classes, now that I'm in Quantum and E&m, due to the time commitment and its killing my motivation/passion.

Either way though, I am going to graduate soon and I was thinking about going for a masters at SDSU in Medical Physics (They are also CAMPEP accredited).I have no idea how selective the program is, but I was hoping to get into something a bit more applied and with a more direct impact on society, and my grades probably aren't nearly good enough for Med school.

Is there things I should be doing to increase my chances? Like Becoming Applied Physics? I was thinking optics/Lasers would be a bit more useful than two semesters of Quantum in this field.
    Is there a way to look at what the average student in that department has when entering the school?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know much about the SDSU program, although a friend of mine is a professor there and I know he would make a good supervisor. Most (all?) accredited medical physics programs are quite competative. I don't know what that means in terms of GPA exactly, but meeting the minimum criteria is definately not a guarantee of getting in.

Taking more applied physics type courses is a good idea if you have the option. Most medical physics work isn't too heavy on quantum. Courses that I would recommend include any kind of image or signal processing, mathematical methods, computational physics, a senior lab course, nuclear physics, optics, and electrodynamics. I personally wouldn't avoid a senior quantum course entirely either, but it wouldn't get that high of a priority.

4. Jan 7, 2013 #3
    Is there a way to get a more detailed description of the level i need to be at to stand a good chance? I want to stay in california if possible.. I have the more theoretical option a my school, which is basically upper division E&m Quantum and Thermo.

If I go applied I will have to take an optics, lasers, and computational class. I have already done one semester of E&M and one of Quantum. Did my modern physics courses as well.

I have little knowledge of graduate schools or what is required so i guess im starting to freak out! I want to get a good job when i leave graduate school and i know now that pure physics is looking bad.

5. Jan 11, 2013 #4
    Im hoping for a bit more feedback from some others please :]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook