Change in GPE and Ek as object approaches a planet

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about gravitational potential energy and the expected answer shows the GPE increasing as the rocket gets closer to the planet. The person asking the question initially thought the GPE would decrease, but realizes their mistake after looking at the attached graph. The negative sign before the magnitude indicates a decrease in GPE, not an increase.
Saado
This is not a homework question.

Whilst looking over at previous exam papers on classical physics, I came across this question in the attachment. I always assumed gravitational potential energy increased as you moved further away from a mass. But the expected answer to this question shows the GPE increasing as the rocket gets closer to the planet. I'm assuming the increase in kinetic energy is due to the field strength of the planet but I can't get my head around why the magnitude of the potential energy is increasing instead of decreasing as the object moves closer to the planet.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
The expected answer in the attached thumbnail shows the gravitational potential energy decreasing (slope of curve is negative) as the ship moves from A to D and then remaining constant. Where do you see anything increasing in that curve?

Oh I see my problem. I read the graph as the magnitude increasing but realized that's wrong. Thank you.

Only the magnitude is increasing; the negative sign before magnitude makes it decreasing.

As an experienced scientist, I can offer some insight into this phenomenon. It is true that in most cases, gravitational potential energy decreases as an object moves closer to a planet. This is because the object is moving against the gravitational force and therefore the force is doing negative work, reducing the object's potential energy.

However, in this specific scenario, we must also consider the work done by the rocket's engines. As the rocket approaches the planet, its engines are firing, providing a force that is pushing against the gravitational force. This work done by the engines increases the object's kinetic energy, but it also increases the object's potential energy.

Think of it this way - as the rocket gets closer to the planet, the gravitational force increases, and therefore the engines must provide more work to counteract it. This additional work increases the object's potential energy, even as its kinetic energy also increases.

So, in summary, the increase in potential energy as the object approaches the planet is due to both the increasing strength of the gravitational force and the work done by the engines to counteract this force. It is a complex relationship, but it is important to consider both factors when analyzing changes in energy in a gravitational system.

1. What is GPE?

GPE stands for gravitational potential energy. It is the potential energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. The closer an object is to a planet, the higher its GPE.

2. How does GPE change as an object approaches a planet?

As an object approaches a planet, its GPE decreases. This is because the object is moving closer to the planet's center of mass, and therefore, its potential energy decreases.

3. What happens to Ek as an object approaches a planet?

Ek, or kinetic energy, increases as an object approaches a planet. This is because the object is accelerating due to the gravitational pull of the planet, and its velocity and therefore kinetic energy increase.

4. Can GPE and Ek be equal as an object approaches a planet?

Yes, it is possible for GPE and Ek to be equal as an object approaches a planet. This is known as the escape velocity, where the object has enough kinetic energy to overcome the gravitational pull of the planet and escape its orbit.

5. How does the change in GPE and Ek affect the object's total energy?

The total energy of an object remains constant as it approaches a planet. As GPE decreases, Ek increases, but the total energy of the object remains the same. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.