Change In Internal Energy Of An Ideal Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses an ideal gas that is compressed from a volume of 4.50 L to 3.00 L while in thermal contact with a heat reservoir at a temperature of 295 K. The work done on the gas is calculated to be 2.5 kJ, but the change in internal energy and thermal energy exchanged cannot be determined without the number of moles. It is suggested to assume that the system is initially at atmospheric pressure to solve for the number of moles needed. However, it is also noted that since the system is in thermal contact with the heat reservoir, the temperature of the gas will remain constant throughout the process, resulting in no change in internal energy and a thermal energy exchanged equal to
Searay330
OP warned about not using the homework template
An ideal gas is compressed from a volume of Vi = 4.50 L to a volume of Vf = 3.00 L while in thermal contact with a heat reservoir at T = 295 K as in the figure below. During the compression process, the piston moves down a distance of d = 0.120 m under the action of an average external force of F = 21.0 kN.

(a) Find the work done on the gas, I Solved That its 2.5KJ.

ideal gas is PV = nRt
work done is W = F(yf - yi)
so work is W = 21000N*(.120m)
W = 2520J or 2.5 KJ(b) Find the change in internal energy of the gas.

(c) Find the thermal energy exchanged between the gas and the reservoir.

i tried to solve b and c but with no pressure or moles i have no formula that can get me the change in internal energy.

for b the change is internal energy is given by: U = Q + W
i have the W as 2.5kJ but i am still Missing Q the energy transferred to the Gas by Heat

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you have an equation for the internal energy of an ideal gas?

DrClaude said:
Don't you have an equation for the internal energy of an ideal gas?
yes its (3/2)nR(tf - ti)
but i don't have moles and i can't get them from the ideal gas law because i don't have the pressure
and i can't get it from the W = PAChangeinY because i don't have A

I had missed that you didn't have the number of moles. Could you make some assumption, like that the system is initially at atmospheric pressure?

DrClaude said:
I had missed that you didn't have the number of moles. Could you make some assumption, like that the system is initially at atmospheric pressure?
im not sure that is the whole question but for the sake of learning to do this problem i can

so if i assume that the pressure is 101325PA then
101325PA * .0045 m3 = n8.31T where t is still unknown

Searay330 said:
where t is still unknown
Searay330 said:
while in thermal contact with a heat reservoir at T = 295 K

so because it is contact with the heat reservoir it can be assumed that it is at the temperature always?

Searay330 said:
so because it is contact with the heat reservoir it can be assumed that it is at the temperature always?
Yes. That's in essence the definition of a "reservoir."

so that means that 101325PA * .0045 m3 = n8.31(273K)
gives n = .185
then (3/2)(.185)*8.31*295 = 683.94
but because the temperature never changes does that still hold ?
allowing me to solve it all again with vf and then subtract both finding the answer

Sorry, I'm slow tonight. I just realized that you are asked for the change in internal energy. So what happens when you calculate ΔU = (3/2)nR(Tf- Ti)? Hint: you don't need to know n.

i am not sure because if it is contact with the heat reservoir that would that mean that temperature doesn't change and it would be 0

Searay330 said:
i am not sure because if it is contact with the heat reservoir that would temperature doesn't change and it would be 0
Exactly, the internal energy of the gas doesn't change.

Right so if the internal energy doesn't change that means that for part c Q = W or 2.5KJ

Thank you very much for your help

Searay330 said:
Right so if the internal energy doesn't change that means that for part c Q = W or 2.5KJ

Thank you very much for your help
Your welcome. And sorry again, that should've been quicker.

Searay330 said:
Not exactly. It means that the temperature of the gas in the final thermodynamic equilibrium state of the system (295) is the same as in the initial thermodynamic equilibrium state of the system (295). During the transition from the initial thermodynamic equilibrium state to the final thermodynamic equilibrium state, the temperature of the gas does not have to be uniform at 295 throughout. In fact, even the average temperature of the gas can differ from 295 during the transition.

Chet

1. What is the definition of change in internal energy of an ideal gas?

The change in internal energy of an ideal gas is the difference between the final internal energy of the gas and its initial internal energy. It is a measure of the amount of energy added to or removed from the gas, either through heating or cooling.

2. How is the change in internal energy of an ideal gas calculated?

The change in internal energy of an ideal gas can be calculated using the equation ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added to the gas, and W is the work done on or by the gas.

3. What factors affect the change in internal energy of an ideal gas?

The change in internal energy of an ideal gas is affected by the amount of heat added or removed, the work done on or by the gas, and the type of process the gas undergoes (e.g. isothermal, adiabatic, etc.). Other factors such as the initial and final temperatures, pressure, and volume of the gas may also play a role.

4. What is the relationship between change in internal energy and temperature for an ideal gas?

For an ideal gas, the change in internal energy is directly proportional to the change in temperature. This means that if the temperature of the gas increases, its internal energy will also increase, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation ΔU = nCvΔT, where n is the number of moles of gas and Cv is the heat capacity at constant volume.

5. Can the change in internal energy of an ideal gas be negative?

Yes, the change in internal energy of an ideal gas can be negative if the gas loses heat or does work on its surroundings. This means that the final internal energy of the gas is lower than its initial internal energy. For example, if a gas expands and does work on its surroundings, its internal energy decreases and the change in internal energy will be negative.