1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change integration order, what happens to the limits?

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Homework about a result in probability theory, but I don't understand one of the steps:

Let f(x) be the PDF of a continuous R.V which takes only non-negative values.

Why is the following true?
    [itex]\int^{\infty}_0\int^{\infty}_xf(t) \mathrm{d}t \mathrm{d}x[/itex] =
    [itex]\int^{\infty}_0\int^{t}_0f(t)\mathrm{d}x\mathrm{d}t[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

We can change the order of integration but I only come up with:
    [itex]\int^{\infty}_0\int^{\infty}_xf(t)\mathrm {d}t\mathrm {d}x[/itex] = [itex]\int^{\infty}_x\int^{\infty}_of(t)\mathrm {d}x\mathrm {d}t[/itex] =

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2
    You should first draw the region of integration in the t-x plane, then consider how the double integral sums up small rectangles using dtdx, then consider how the double integral would sum them up using dxdt.

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3
    Yes, I tried doing that but I didn't have an "aha"-moment..
    So we have that t ranges from x to [itex]\infty[/itex] and x from 0 to [itex]\infty[/itex].. How do you draw that? :confused:

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The border line of the integration domain is x=t. How can you cover the shaded area if you integrate with respect to t first and when you integrate with respect to x first?

ehild

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  6. Sep 30, 2012 #5

sharks

Gold Member

Except from the attached figure above, [itex]\int^{\infty}_0\int^{\infty}_xf(t) \mathrm{d}t \mathrm{d}x[/itex] gives the area of required region between the x-axis and the line x=t.

7. Sep 30, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The area is [itex]\int^{\infty}_0\int^{\infty}_x \mathrm{d}t \mathrm{d}x[/itex]:smile:

ehild

8. Sep 30, 2012 #7
    Mathematica dude. First understand that the integrals are summing up small rectangles in the t-x plane and we can arrange these rectangles going up and down or side to side. Now consider the integral:

[tex]\int_0^5 \int_x^5 dt dx[/tex]

and read that as "dt as t goes from t=x to t=5 and then dx as x goes from x=0 to x=5. Now look at my wonderful plot I did in Mathematica, the region we're integrating in light purple, and first the red rectangle illustrating the integration plan above. That rectangle is going from t=x to t=5. Now keep building rectangles above and below it. Then the sum of the rectangles is going from the range of x=0 to x=5 as the integral above.

Now consider summing rectangles in the vertical direction and consider the blue rectangle and the integral representing this integration plan as:

[tex]\int_0^5 \int_0^t dx dt[/tex]

Again, read that as "dx as x goes from x=0 to x=t, and then dt as t goes from t=0 to t=5. Look again at the blue rectangle. It's height is going from x=0 to x=t and if we sum the set along the entire region, that set is going from t=0 to t=5.

Here's the code in case you want to play with it:

Code (Text):

myrec1 = Graphics[{Red, Opacity[0.5],
         Rectangle[{1, 0.8}, {5, 1.2}]}];
    myrec2 = Graphics[{Blue, Opacity[0.5],
        Rectangle[{2.8, 0}, {3.2, 3}]}]
    Show[{Plot[y = x, {x, 0, 5}, Filling -> Bottom],
       myrec1, myrec2}, AxesLabel ->
       {Style["x", 30], Style["t", 30]}]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook