Change of Basis: Exploring Basis Vectors in $\mathbb{R}^3$

In summary, we have two subsets of vectors, $B_0$ and $B_1$, that form a basis for $\mathbb{R}^3$. The transition matrix between these two bases can be found by solving a system of equations and is given by $\mathbf{M} = \begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\2&1&0\\-1&0&1\end{bmatrix}$. To transition from the standard basis to either $B_0$ or $B_1$, we will need another transition matrix, which can be found by determining the coordinates of the standard basis vectors in either $B_0$ or $B_1$.
Guest2
Consider the following set of vectors in $\mathbb{R}^3:$ $u_0 = (1,2,0),~ u_1 = (1,2,1), ~u_2 = (2,3,0), ~u_3 = (4,6,1)$ Explain why each of the two subsets $B_0 = \left\{u_0, u_2,u_3\right\}$ and $B_1 = \left\{u_1, u_2, u_3\right\}$ forms a basis of $\mathbb{R}^3$. If we write $[\mathbf{x}]_0$ and $[\mathbf{x}]_1$ for the coordinates of the vector $\mathbf{x}$ in terms of these two basis, find the precise transition matrix which inter-relates these two sets of coordinates. If $\mathbf{x} = 4\mathbf{e}_1+4\mathbf{e}_3$, what are $\mathbf [\mathbf{x}]_0$ and $[\mathbf{x}]_1$?

Writing the vectors of the subset $B_0$ as the columns of a matrix we have:

$\mathbf{A}_0: = \begin{pmatrix}
1&2&4 \\
2&3&6 \\
0&0 &1
\end{pmatrix} \to \begin{pmatrix}
1&2&4 \\
0&-1&-4 \\
0&0 &1
\end{pmatrix} \implies \det(\mathbf{A}_0) =(1)(-1)(1) = -1 $

As the columns of a $3 \times 3$ matrix whose determinant is non-zero, these vectors form a basis for $\mathbb{R}^3.$

Similarly, writing the vectors of the subset $B_1$ as the columns of a matrix we have:

$\mathbf{A}_1: = \begin{pmatrix}
1&1&2 \\
3&2&6 \\
0&1 &1
\end{pmatrix} \to \begin{pmatrix}
1&1&2 \\
0&-1&0 \\
0&0 &1
\end{pmatrix} \implies \det(\mathbf{A}_1) =(1)(-1)(1) = -1 $

As the columns of a $3 \times 3$ matrix whose determinant is non-zero, these vectors form a basis for $\mathbb{R}^3.$

I'm stuck changing the basis. I think one transition matrix is:

$\mathbf{M} = \begin{pmatrix} 3&1&6 \\ -1&0&-4 \\ 0&0 &1 \end{pmatrix}$

This maps $[x]_1 \mapsto \mathbf{M} [x]_0$; and the one below maps $[x]_0 \mapsto \mathbf{M}' [x]_1$

$\mathbf{M}' = \begin{pmatrix} 0&-1&-4 \\ 1&3&6 \\ 0&0 &1 \end{pmatrix}$

I know I'm supposed to multiply by $[4,0,4]^{T}$ at some point, but when can I do that if I'm always in non-standard basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
If: $[\mathbf{x}]_0 = a_1u_0 + a_2u_2 + a_3u_3$, and:

$[\mathbf{x}]_1 = b_1u_1 + b_2u_2 + b_3u_3$

then the transition matrix from the basis $\{u_0,u_2,u_3\}$ to the basis $\{u_1,u_2,u_3\}$ is the matrix that maps the coordinate triple $(a_1,b_2,a_3) \mapsto (b_1,b_2,b_3)$.

The trick is to pick suitable values for $a_1,a_2,a_3$ so that the matrix is easy to calculate. We know that:

$u_2 = 0u_0 + 1u_2 + 0u_3$, so our matrix maps $(0,1,0)$ to $(0,1,0)$, since the coordinates of $u_2$ in the second basis are: $(0,1,0)$ which represents $0u_1 + 1u_2 + 0u_3$.

This tells us the second column of our transition matrix $M$ is $\begin{bmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{bmatrix}$.

Similarly, the third column must be: $\begin{bmatrix}0\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}$.

So, we really only need to work to find the first column.

To do that, we need to know what $u_0$ (which is $(1,0,0)$ in the first basis) is in the second basis.

So we want to find $b_1,b_2,b_3$ such that:

$(1,2,0) = b_1(1,2,1) + b_2(2,3,0) + b_3(4,6,1)$.

This is equivalent to solving the system of equations:

$b_1 + 2b_2 + 4b_3 = 1$
$2b_1 + 3b_2 + 6b_3 = 2$
$b_1 + b_3 = 0$.

We could form a matrix, and row-reduce it, but the third equation gives us:

$b_3 = -b_1$. Subbing this back into the first two equations gives:

$2b_2 - 3b_1 = 1$
$3b_2 - 4b_1 = 2$

Multiplying the first equation by 3, and the second by -2, and adding them together gives:

$b_1 = 1$, which leads to $b_2 = 2$.

So, if we've done the arithmetic properly, we should have:

$(1,2,0) = (1,2,1) + 2(2,3,0) - (4,6,1)$, which we do.

This, then tells us our transition matrix is:

$M = \begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\2&1&0\\-1&0&1\end{bmatrix}$

Now let's take a random vector $a_1u_0 + a_2u_2 + a_3u_3$, and make sure this works.

So I'll pick $-2u_0 + u_2 + 3u_3$, which is (in the standard coordinates):

$-2(1,2,0) + (2,3,0) + 3(4,6,1) = (-2,-4,0) + (2,3,0) + (12,18,3) = (12,17,3)$

To find the $B_1$-coordinates of this, we compute:

$\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\2&1&0\\-1&0&1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}-2\\1\\3\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}-2\\-3\\5\end{bmatrix}$

And we check that $-2u_1 - 3u_2 + 5u_3 = -2(1,2,1) - 3(2,3,0) + 5(4,6,1) = (-2,-4,-2) + (-6,-9,0) + (20,30,5) = (12,17,3)$-woah, magic!

This, unfortunately, does not address the question of how to transition from the standard basis to either $B_0$ or $B_1$, for which you will need at least one more transition matrix (I'd try the one that takes $(4,0,4) = 4e_1 + 4_3$ to its $B_0$ coordinates. The easiest way I can think of is to find out what $e_1,e_2$ and $e_3$ are in the $B_0$ basis).

Deveno said:
Thank you very much. I really do appreciate your help here and elsewhere.

1. What is a change of basis?

A change of basis is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra to transform a vector from one coordinate system to another. It involves finding a new set of basis vectors that can represent the same vector in a different way.

2. Why is change of basis important?

Change of basis is important because it allows us to work with vectors and matrices in different coordinate systems. This is useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. How is change of basis calculated?

The process of calculating a change of basis involves finding the matrix that represents the transformation from one set of basis vectors to another. This matrix is called the transformation matrix and is used to convert coordinates from one basis to another.

4. What is the role of change of basis in eigenvalue problems?

In eigenvalue problems, change of basis is used to transform the original matrix into a diagonal matrix, where the diagonal elements represent the eigenvalues. This simplifies the problem and makes it easier to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. Can change of basis be applied to non-linear transformations?

No, change of basis can only be applied to linear transformations. This means that the transformation must preserve the properties of vector addition and scalar multiplication. Non-linear transformations do not follow these rules and therefore cannot be represented using a change of basis.