Change of dependent variable in a DE

Notice also that you can write this as[tex]a^2Y''+ aY'+ Y= 0. In summary, to rewrite the given ODE with respect to the new variables Y and A, we can use the chain rule and the equation becomes 1/a^2 Y** + 1/a Y* + Y = 0.
elarson89
Hi all, I have what should hopefully be a quick question. Given an ODE of the following form (sorry no tex)
y = y(x) with y' defined as differentiation wrt (with respect to) x

y'' + y' + y = 0

and I want to make a change a variables A = x/a (for some constant a) so that we define a new dependent variable as Y(A) = y(ax).

I now want to rewrite the ODE with respect to Y and A.
Y = Y(A) with Y* defined as differentiation wrt A

I am not sure how this works out, but I know that the answer should look like

1/a^2 Y** + 1/a Y* + Y = 0

I know this isn't a hard question but I'm just not seeing it. Thanks in advance for help.

EDIT:

I found a way for this to work out, although it seems a bit convoluted. Input still welcome though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
elarson89 said:
Hi all, I have what should hopefully be a quick question. Given an ODE of the following form (sorry no tex)
y = y(x) with y' defined as differentiation wrt (with respect to) x

y'' + y' + y = 0

and I want to make a change a variables A = x/a (for some constant a) so that we define a new dependent variable as Y(A) = y(ax).

I now want to rewrite the ODE with respect to Y and A.
Y = Y(A) with Y* defined as differentiation wrt A

I am not sure how this works out, but I know that the answer should look like

1/a^2 Y** + 1/a Y* + Y = 0

I know this isn't a hard question but I'm just not seeing it. Thanks in advance for help.

EDIT:

I found a way for this to work out, although it seems a bit convoluted. Input still welcome though.
Use the chain rule. If A= x/a, then dA/dx= 1/a (kind of wish you had chosen some other letters!:smile:).

[tex]\frac{dY}{dx}= \frac{dY}{dA}\frac{dA}{dx}= \frac{1}{a}\frac{dY}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2Y}{dx^2}= \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dA}{dx}\right)= \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{a}\frac{dY}{dA}\right)[/tex
[tex]= \frac{1}{a}\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dY}{dA}\right)= \frac{1}{a}\left(\frac{1}{a^2}\frac{d^2Y}{dA^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{a^2}\frac{d^2Y}{dA^2}[/tex]

So your equation is
[tex]\frac{1}{a^2}\frac{d^2Y}{dA^2}+ \frac{1}{a}\frac{dY}{dA}+ Y=0[/tex]
If you like you can multiply on both sides by [itex]a^2[/itex] and get
[tex]\frac{d^2Y}{dA^2}+ a\frac{dY}{dA}+ a^2Y= 0[/tex].

Notice that this would work for A being a function of x also, though then the derivatives become more complicated.

Related to Change of dependent variable in a DE

1. What is a dependent variable in a differential equation?

The dependent variable in a differential equation is the variable whose value is dependent on the value of another variable. It is usually denoted as y or f(x) and is the output or solution of the equation.

2. How does changing the dependent variable affect the overall equation?

Changing the dependent variable in a differential equation can alter the overall equation and its solution. It may change the behavior of the equation, the form of the solution, or the stability of the solution.

3. Can I change the dependent variable in a differential equation to make it easier to solve?

Yes, changing the dependent variable can sometimes make a differential equation easier to solve. This is often done through a substitution or transformation, which can simplify the equation and make it more manageable.

4. What are some common reasons for changing the dependent variable in a differential equation?

There are a few common reasons for changing the dependent variable in a differential equation. These include making the equation more manageable to solve, changing the form of the solution to better fit the problem at hand, or to better understand the behavior of the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to changing the dependent variable in a differential equation?

While changing the dependent variable can be a useful tool, there are some limitations to consider. It may not always be possible to change the variable, and even if it is, it may not always result in a simpler or more accurate solution. It is important to carefully consider the implications of changing the dependent variable before doing so.