Change of variables in double integral with u = x² + y²

  • Thread starter Thread starter chetzread
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 5K views
You answer the question
BvU said:
what ##\ x\over \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} ##represents
 
Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
You answer the question
it has no meaning , right ? the author just simply put inside the equation, right ?
 
You think I annoy you with so many questions when there is no meaning ? What is the sine of the red angle ? What is the cosine ?
upload_2016-9-12_13-46-56.png
 
BvU said:
You think I annoy you with so many questions when there is no meaning ? What is the sine of the red angle ? What is the cosine ?
View attachment 105794
BvU said:
You answer the question
It's cos theta, so?
 
chetzread said:
It's cos theta, so?

What do you think?
 
@chetzread, I believe that BvU's hint is not about merely switching the order of integration (i.e., dxdy vs. dydx), but instead, about changing to a polar integral. This problem quite a bit easier if you do it this way.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chetzread
chetzread said:
It's cos theta, so?
So ? Wouldn't substituting ##\theta## as integration variable be a sensible thing to try ?
 
BvU said:
So ? Wouldn't substituting ##\theta## as integration variable be a sensible thing to try ?
ok, i got the ans now ...I'm wondering is this a special case? I have never learned and see this before ...
 
Humor me and tell me what you did ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chetzread
You said
chetzread said:
ok, i got the ans now
could you share your working with us ?