Change of variables for double integral problem

In summary, the conversation is about using polar coordinates to integrate a given function with specific limits of integration. The area being integrated over is a triangle and the limits for O and r are discussed. The conversation ends with the person realizing their mistake and correcting it.
fuzzytoad

Homework Statement

I want to use polar coordinates to integrate

1/sqrt(x^2+y^2) dydx with limits of integration 0 < y < x and 0 < x < 3

Homework Equations

x=rcosO
y=rsinO

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the area being integrated over is the triangle enclosed by y=x and x=3. I have my limits for O to be 0 < O < pi/2, which I think is correct. I attempted to solve the problem using limits for r to be 3 < r < 3/cosO, however, the answer I obtain is 3(sqrt(2) - pi/2) whereas it should be 3ln(sqrt2 + 1). I think the problem is my limit for r.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot. Saw the problem right after I posted this.

Physics news on Phys.org
fuzzytoad said:

Homework Statement

I want to use polar coordinates to integrate

1/sqrt(x^2+y^2) dydx with limits of integration 0 < y < x and 0 < x < 3

Homework Equations

x=rcosO
y=rsinO

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the area being integrated over is the triangle enclosed by y=x and x=3. I have my limits for O to be 0 < O < pi/2, which I think is correct. I attempted to solve the problem using limits for r to be 3 < r < 3/cosO, however, the answer I obtain is 3(sqrt(2) - pi/2) whereas it should be 3ln(sqrt2 + 1). I think the problem is my limit for r.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot. Saw the problem right after I posted this.
After converting to polar coordinates, your integral should be:
[tex]\int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi/4}\int_{r = 0}^{3sec(\theta)} \frac{r~dr~d\theta}{r}[/tex]

Is that what you got?

1. What is a change of variables for a double integral problem?

A change of variables for a double integral problem is a method used to simplify the integration process by transforming the original variables to new ones. This is usually done to make the limits of integration easier to work with or to convert the integral into a standard form.

2. Why is a change of variables useful in solving double integral problems?

A change of variables can make the integration process more efficient and can often lead to simpler solutions. It can also allow for the use of standard integration techniques that may not have been applicable before the change of variables.

3. How do I choose the appropriate change of variables for a double integral problem?

The appropriate change of variables will depend on the specific problem and the variables involved. It is important to choose a transformation that will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. Some common transformations include polar coordinates, trigonometric substitutions, and linear substitutions.

4. Can a change of variables affect the final result of a double integral?

Yes, a change of variables can affect the final result of a double integral. This is because the limits of integration and the integrand may change after the transformation. It is important to carefully consider the new limits and make any necessary adjustments to the integrand before solving the integral.

5. Are there any limitations to using a change of variables for double integral problems?

Yes, there are limitations to using a change of variables for double integral problems. Some transformations may not be applicable to certain types of integrals, and some may lead to more complicated integrands. It is also important to check the validity of the transformation and ensure that the Jacobian determinant is not equal to zero.