1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral change of variables

1. May 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the change of variables ##u=x+y## and ##y=uv## to solve:
    [tex] \int_0^1\int_0^{1-x}e^{\frac{y}{x+y}}dydx [/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I got as far as:
    [tex] \int\int{}ue^vdvdu. [/tex]

But I just can't find the region of integration in terms of ##u## and ##v##.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

What does the domain of integration look like in x-y space? Then consider what happens to points on the interior and boundary of that domain under the transformation to u-v space.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  4. May 31, 2014 #3
    the region looks like a triangle, basically the lower half of the unit square. But how do I transform this region into uv space? I tried to solve the equations of change of variables until I either got the bounds of ##u## as two numbers and the bounds of ##v## at least in terms of ##u##. Or the other way around.. I figured I could solve the integral either way.

5. Jun 1, 2014 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, you can solve u=u(x,y) and v=v(x,y). Then choose points on the boundary of the domain in xy space and see what the corresponding point is in uv space. A point in the interior of the domain in xy space will point you towards the interior of the region in uv space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted