Change of variables with u=xy, v=x-y to evaluate a double integral

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Suy
Messages
101
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let I=∫∫D (x2−y2)dxdy, where
D=(x,y): {1≤xy≤2, 0≤x−y≤6, x≥0, y≥0}
Show that the mapping u=xy, v=x−y maps D to the rectangle R=[1,2]χ[0,6].

(a) Compute [itex]\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}[/itex] by first computing [itex]\frac{\partial(u,v)}{\partial(x,y)}[/itex].

(b) Use the Change of Variables Formula to show that I is equal to the integral of f(u,v)=v over R and evaluate.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



(a) [itex]\frac{\partial(u,v)}{\partial(x,y)}[/itex]=|-(y+x)|
so, [itex]\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{y+x}[/itex]

(b)I have to evaluate I, but I have no idea how, please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The change of variable converts the irregularly shaped domain D into the rectangle R, where you can evaluate I easier, to evaluate I perform the suggested change of variable, substitute in the jacobian, and evaluate over R, the jacobian you evaluated is correct, except it should be in terms of u, v, not x, y.