Change of variables in Heat Equation (and Fourier Series)

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for solving the heat equation with specific boundary conditions. It involves making a change of variable from u to v=u-C, where v satisfies the heat equation with different boundary conditions. The solution for v(x,t) is derived and used to find an expression for u(x,t) in terms of constants c1,c2,... and a formula for cn. For the case where the boundary conditions are u(0,t)=C and u(a,t)=D, a different approach would need to be taken.
Nerrad
Q: Suppose ##u(x,t)## satisfies the heat equation for ##0<x<a## with the usual initial condition ##u(x,0)=f(x)##, and the temperature given to be a non-zero constant C on the surfaces ##x=0## and ##x=a##.
We have BCs ##u(0,t) = u(a,t) = C.## Our standard method for finding u doesn't work here, since ##e^{-k(\frac{n\pi}a)^2t}sin(\frac{n\pi}a)## does not satisfy these BCs.
Make a change of variable from ##u## to ##v=u-C.## Show that ##v## satisfies the heat equation with BCs ##v=0## at ##x=0## and ##x=a.##
Write down the solution for ##v(x,t).##Deduce an expression for ##u(x,t)## in terms of constants ##c_1,c_2,\ldots,## and write down a formula for ##c_n.##
[Harder] Now suppose the BCs are ##u(0,t) = C##, ##u(a,t)=D## for constants ##C,D.## How could you solve the case?

My question: These are extensions to homework which I'd like try to attempt, but I don't know where to start with the change of variable

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute [itex]u(x,t) = v(x,t) + C[/itex] into the PDE and boundary and initial conditions you are given for [itex]u[/itex] to obtain a PDE and boundary and initial conditions satisfied by [itex]v[/itex].

From the given BCs for ##u##, am I right in saying that BCs for ##v## is ##v(0,t)=v(a,t)=u(0,t)+C=2C##? Also by substituting ##u(x,t)=v(x,t)+C## into the PDE do you mean partially differentiate it then substitute in like $$v=u+C$$ $$ \frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{t}}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}$$ $$\frac{\partial^2{v}}{\partial^2{x}}=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial^2{x}}$$ so $$\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}=K\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial{x}^2}$$ becomes $$\frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{t}}=K\frac{\partial^2{v}}{\partial{x}^2}$$
Did I get even the slightest of that right or am I going to a complete different direction??

1. What is the purpose of a change of variables in the Heat Equation?

A change of variables in the Heat Equation allows for a transformation of the independent variables, which can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. This can also help in visualizing the heat distribution in a different coordinate system.

2. How does a change of variables affect the boundary conditions in the Heat Equation?

A change of variables does not affect the boundary conditions in the Heat Equation. The boundary conditions remain the same, regardless of the coordinate system used. However, the equations used to determine the boundary conditions may change due to the transformation of variables.

3. Can a change of variables be used for non-linear Heat Equations?

Yes, a change of variables can be used for non-linear Heat Equations. However, the transformed equation may still be non-linear, and the transformation of variables may be more complex compared to linear equations.

4. How does a change of variables affect the solution of the Heat Equation?

A change of variables can affect the solution of the Heat Equation by simplifying it or making it more complex. In some cases, a change of variables may also lead to a more accurate solution by reducing errors caused by numerical approximations.

5. How are Fourier Series used in a change of variables for the Heat Equation?

Fourier Series can be used in a change of variables for the Heat Equation to transform the equation into a series of trigonometric functions. This can help in solving the equation or finding a closed-form solution. It can also be used to represent the heat distribution in terms of different frequencies and to study the behavior of the solution over time.