1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variables in Heat Equation (and Fourier Series)

1. Feb 5, 2017 #1
    Q: Suppose ##u(x,t)## satisfies the heat equation for ##0<x<a## with the usual initial condition ##u(x,0)=f(x)##, and the temperature given to be a non-zero constant C on the surfaces ##x=0## and ##x=a##.
    We have BCs ##u(0,t) = u(a,t) = C.## Our standard method for finding u doesn't work here, since ##e^{-k(\frac{n\pi}a)^2t}sin(\frac{n\pi}a)## does not satisfy these BCs.
    Make a change of variable from ##u## to ##v=u-C.## Show that ##v## satisfies the heat equation with BCs ##v=0## at ##x=0## and ##x=a.##
    Write down the solution for ##v(x,t).##Deduce an expression for ##u(x,t)## in terms of constants ##c_1,c_2,\ldots,## and write down a formula for ##c_n.##
    [Harder] Now suppose the BCs are ##u(0,t) = C##, ##u(a,t)=D## for constants ##C,D.## How could you solve the case?

My question: These are extensions to homework which I'd like try to attempt, but I don't know where to start with the change of variable

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2017 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Substitute [itex]u(x,t) = v(x,t) + C[/itex] into the PDE and boundary and initial conditions you are given for [itex]u[/itex] to obtain a PDE and boundary and initial conditions satisfied by [itex]v[/itex].

4. Feb 5, 2017 #3
    From the given BCs for ##u##, am I right in saying that BCs for ##v## is ##v(0,t)=v(a,t)=u(0,t)+C=2C##? Also by substituting ##u(x,t)=v(x,t)+C## into the PDE do you mean partially differentiate it then substitute in like $$v=u+C$$ $$ \frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{t}}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}$$ $$\frac{\partial^2{v}}{\partial^2{x}}=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial^2{x}}$$ so $$\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}=K\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial{x}^2}$$ becomes $$\frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{t}}=K\frac{\partial^2{v}}{\partial{x}^2}$$
    Did I get even the slightest of that right or am I going to a complete different direction??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted