Change order of integration and hence evaluate

In summary: It looks like you are integrating over an ellipse, you could do a change of variables and integrate over a circle. And then factor in the Jacobian.That's what i did above. There's no need for Jacobian... My notes don't show anything related to Jacobian at this stage.Replace y = a into x = \frac{a}{b}\sqrt (b^2-y^2)Then, x = \frac{a}{b}\sqrt (b^2-a^2)So, i have to find \int_0^a \! \int_0^\frac{a\sqrt (b^2-y
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111229/vqL4SkL9.jpg

The attempt at a solution
So, i drew the graph of y against x although i don't know initially if a>b or a<b.
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111229/S3y3oSFS.jpg
Looking at the limits, i realized that a must be less than b. So, the shaded areas are the regions which i need to find.

Description:
For y fixed, y varies from y=0 to y=a
and x varies from x=0 to x = (a/b)√(b^2 - y^2)

To change the order of integration, d.w.r.t.y first and then d.w.r.t.x. The region is split into 2 parts.

The region A is the red section on the graph and region B is the blue section on the graph.

Region A:
For x fixed, x varies from x=0 to x=(a/b)√(b^2 - a^2)
and y varies from y=0 to y=a

Region B:
For x fixed, x varies from x = (a/b)√(b^2 - a^2) to x=a
and y varies from y=0 to y=√[b^2 - (b^2.x^2)/a^2]

At this point, i checked but not sure if my work above is correct. But I'm moving on.

Thus, after changing the order, the double integral is equal to the sum of the double integral for region A and B.

I did the calculations in my copybook and the answer has become so complicated. The answer in my notes points to something quite simple.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are integrating over an ellipse, you could do a change of variables and integrate over a circle. And then factor in the Jacobian.

That's what i did above. There's no need for Jacobian... My notes don't show anything related to Jacobian at this stage. I don't think you read my partial answer.

on region A x goes from 0 to what ever that straight vertical lines is, not the equation for that curve. On region B x goes from that vertical line to x=a if your going to do y first.
And when I meant change of variables, right now we have an ellipse
[itex] \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1 [/itex]
we could substitute in R=x/a and Q=y/b and then we would get an equation for a circle and then integrate this in the R-Q plane. Not sure if it will help in this case though

Last edited:
The limits you posted above match the ones i used. The vertical line is obtained by substituting y=a into the equation of the ellipse, as i need the x-coordinate for the point of intersection so as to change the order.
The resulting equation is a bit complex, so i didn't write it on the graph. Here it is:

Replace y = a into [tex]x = \frac{a}{b}\sqrt (b^2-y^2)[/tex]
Then, [tex]x = \frac{a}{b}\sqrt (b^2-a^2)[/tex]
So, i have to find [tex]\int_0^a \! \int_0^\frac{a\sqrt (b^2-y^2)}{b}xy\,dy\,dx[/tex]

For region A:
x fixed
The limits are:
[tex]0≤x≤\frac{a}{b}\sqrt (b^2-a^2)[/tex]
[tex]0≤y≤a[/tex]

For region B:
x fixed
The limits are:
[tex]\frac{a}{b}\sqrt (b^2-a^2)≤x≤a[/tex]
[tex]0≤y≤\sqrt (b^2-\frac{b^2x^2}{a^2})[/tex]

When evaluating the double integral for region A:
[tex]\frac{a^4 (b^2-a^2)}{4b^2}[/tex]

My problem is with evaluating the double integral for region B.
I've tried many times and verified my calculations but i can't get the final answer:
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111229/rb3LRWcs.jpg
And this tells me that i somehow inexplicably have the graph wrong, and i think in that case a>b or a=b? Can someone please help?

Edit: OK, i see it now. a=b. When y=a, x=0. It is very confusing though and i don't think i would have been able to evaluate this problem without deducing the value of a relative to b, without analysing the answer. Trick question!

Last edited:
sharks said:
Homework Statement
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111229/vqL4SkL9.jpg

The attempt at a solution
So, i drew the graph of y against x although i don't know initially if a>b or a<b.
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111229/S3y3oSFS.jpg
Looking at the limits, i realized that a must be less than b. So, the shaded areas are the regions which i need to find.
No, they are not. In your limits of integration, x varies from 0 to a. For each x, y varies from 0 to the y value on the ellipse. The integration is over the entire ellipse in the first quadrant. y varies from 0 to b, and for each y, x varies from 0 to [itex](b/a)a\sqrt{a^2- x^2}[/itex]

[quoter]Description:
For y fixed, y varies from y=0 to y=a
and x varies from x=0 to x = (a/b)√(b^2 - y^2)

To change the order of integration, d.w.r.t.y first and then d.w.r.t.x. The region is split into 2 parts.

The region A is the red section on the graph and region B is the blue section on the graph.

Region A:
For x fixed, x varies from x=0 to x=(a/b)√(b^2 - a^2)
and y varies from y=0 to y=a

Region B:
For x fixed, x varies from x = (a/b)√(b^2 - a^2) to x=a
and y varies from y=0 to y=√[b^2 - (b^2.x^2)/a^2]

At this point, i checked but not sure if my work above is correct. But I'm moving on.

Thus, after changing the order, the double integral is equal to the sum of the double integral for region A and B.

I did the calculations in my copybook and the answer has become so complicated. The answer in my notes points to something quite simple.[/QUOTE]

1. What is a change of integration and how does it work?

A change of integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate an integral by switching the order of integration. This involves converting a double or triple integral from one form to another, which can often make the integral easier to solve. It is based on the Fubini's Theorem, which states that the order of integration can be changed as long as the integral is absolutely convergent.

2. When is it necessary to change the order of integration?

Changing the order of integration is necessary when the original integral is difficult to evaluate due to the complexity of the integrand or the region of integration. By changing the order of integration, the integral can often be simplified and solved more easily.

3. What are the steps involved in changing the order of integration?

The steps involved in changing the order of integration are as follows:

1. Identify the region of integration and the limits of integration for each variable.
  2. Draw a diagram of the region of integration to visualize the bounds.
  3. Determine which variable will be the inner integral and which will be the outer integral.
  4. Set up the new integral by switching the order of integration and changing the limits accordingly.
  5. Solve the new integral using standard integration techniques.

4. Are there any restrictions when changing the order of integration?

Yes, there are some restrictions when changing the order of integration. The main restriction is that the integral must be absolutely convergent. This means that the integral must converge regardless of the order of integration. Additionally, the region of integration must be well-defined and the integrand must be continuous over the region.

5. Can the order of integration always be changed?

No, the order of integration cannot always be changed. If the integral is not absolutely convergent, the order of integration cannot be changed. Additionally, if the region of integration is not well-defined or the integrand is not continuous over the region, then the order of integration cannot be changed. It is also important to note that changing the order of integration does not always lead to a simpler integral, so it is not always necessary or beneficial to do so.