Change out switch on controller

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to figure out how to use an old Rock Band kick pedal to activate a button in a controller. The person has uploaded pictures to help explain and is looking for suggestions on how to modify the kick pedal to activate the button. It is suggested to try using a clip lead or wire to find the two contacts on the circuit board and connect the pedal's switch directly.
jamesssf
Greetings everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how I can take an old Rock Band kick pedal and make it activate a button in a controller. I've uploaded pictures to help explain. Simply put, I want to make the kick pedal which already has some sort of pressure switch in it to activate the button labeled overdrive.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/jamesssf/kickpedalmod-1.jpg

I thought there would be two wires I could just cut and splice the kick pedals 3.5 mm jack into the switch. But it's just some rubber piece that makes contact with the circuit board when you push the plastic button. Any Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The "some rubber piece" probably shorts a couple contacts on the circuit board. Have you tried poking around with a clip lead or something to see if you can get it to operate? If you find my hypothesized two contacts you should be able to connect the pedal's switch directly -- presuming that the pedal has a simple switch.

Alright, I'll try that out. Although what's a clip lead?

Clip lead: wire with alligator clips on each end. You can substitute: wire.

1. What is a "change out switch" on a controller?

A "change out switch" on a controller is a physical switch that allows the user to switch between different modes or settings on the controller.

2. How do I change out the switch on my controller?

The specific steps to change out the switch may vary depending on the type of controller and switch. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for detailed guidance. In general, the process involves opening the controller, removing the old switch, and installing the new one in its place.

3. Why would I need to change out the switch on my controller?

There are several reasons why you may need to change out the switch on your controller. The switch may have malfunctioned or broken, the controller may have been damaged, or you may want to upgrade to a different type of switch to improve functionality.

4. Can I change out the switch on my controller by myself or do I need professional help?

It depends on your level of experience and the complexity of the controller. If you are not familiar with electronics and do not feel comfortable working with them, it is best to seek professional help to avoid causing further damage. If you have experience and feel confident in your abilities, you can try changing out the switch yourself.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when changing out the switch on my controller?

Yes, it is important to always disconnect the controller from any power source before attempting to change out the switch. Additionally, be careful not to touch any exposed wires or components to avoid electric shock. If you are unsure about any steps or feel uncomfortable, it is best to seek professional help.