Change the order of triple integration

In summary: Just set up the integral as I did above and evaluate it.In summary, the integral \int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{y^3}\int_{0}^{y^2}dzdxdy can be rewritten as \int_{y = 0}^{2}\int_{x = 0}^{y^3}\int_{z = 0}^{y^2}dz~dx~dy, and also as \int_{0}^{8}\int_{0}^{\sqrt[3]{x}}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{z}}dydzdx. Both integrals represent the volume of the same region, and should produce the same value when evaluated
coco87

Homework Statement

Rewrite [tex]\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{y^3}\int_{0}^{y^2}dzdxdy[/tex] as an integral with order [tex]dydzdx[/tex].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I got as far as sketching it:
dzdxdy-graph.jpg

and after sketching it, I'm lost...

I can't figure out how to set [tex]z[/tex] or [tex]y[/tex], but I'm fairly sure that [tex]x[/tex] is [tex][0,8][/tex].

could anyone possibly offer some help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this all you're given in the problem? Just change the order of integration? I'm concerned that you might be omitting some information in the problem.

BTW, I've always found it to be easier to include the variable in one of the limits of integration, when I'm dealing with iterated integrals.
[tex]\int_{y = 0}^{2}\int_{x = 0}^{y^3}\int_{z = 0}^{y^2}dz~dx~dy[/tex]

Mark44:

Thank you for your tip :)

I'm actually not leaving anything out at all. Many of these questions are vague (and rather annoying). I think I might have it, but am not sure:

[tex]\int_{0}^{8}\int_{0}^{\sqrt[3]{x}}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{z}}dydzdx[/tex]. However, this seems way to easy to be true...

Well, you can check. both integrals represent the volume of the region, so both integrals should produce the same value.

Mark44:

Hmm, how would I check without a function to integrate?

The function is 1.

1. What is triple integration?

Triple integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the volume of three-dimensional shapes or the value of a triple integral function. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, which can be broken down into smaller regions and summed up to find the total value.

2. Why would you want to change the order of triple integration?

Changing the order of triple integration can make the integration process easier and more efficient. It allows for different regions to be integrated in a more logical order, which can lead to simpler integrands and easier calculations.

3. How do you change the order of triple integration?

To change the order of triple integration, you can use the property of iterated integrals, which states that the order of integration can be changed as long as the limits of integration are adjusted accordingly. This can be done by changing the order of the integrals and adjusting the limits of integration for each integral.

4. What are the common orders of triple integration?

The most common orders of triple integration are dxdydz, dydxdz, dzdxdy, dydzdx, dzdydx, and dxdzdy. These orders are chosen based on the shape of the region being integrated and the function being integrated. It is important to choose the order that will lead to the simplest integrand and calculation.

5. Can the order of triple integration affect the final result?

Yes, the order of triple integration can affect the final result. The order in which the integrals are performed can change the value of the integral. It is important to carefully choose the order of integration to ensure an accurate result.