1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change the order of triple integration

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Rewrite [tex]\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{y^3}\int_{0}^{y^2}dzdxdy[/tex] as an integral with order [tex]dydzdx[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I got as far as sketching it:
    dzdxdy-graph.jpg

and after sketching it, I'm lost...

I can't figure out how to set [tex]z[/tex] or [tex]y[/tex], but I'm fairly sure that [tex]x[/tex] is [tex][0,8][/tex].

could anyone possibly offer some help?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is this all you're given in the problem? Just change the order of integration? I'm concerned that you might be omitting some information in the problem.

BTW, I've always found it to be easier to include the variable in one of the limits of integration, when I'm dealing with iterated integrals.
    [tex]\int_{y = 0}^{2}\int_{x = 0}^{y^3}\int_{z = 0}^{y^2}dz~dx~dy[/tex]

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3
    Mark44:

Thank you for your tip :)

I'm actually not leaving anything out at all. Many of these questions are vague (and rather annoying). I think I might have it, but am not sure:

[tex]\int_{0}^{8}\int_{0}^{\sqrt[3]{x}}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{z}}dydzdx[/tex]. However, this seems way to easy to be true...

5. Nov 23, 2009 #4

Mark44

Well, you can check. both integrals represent the volume of the region, so both integrals should produce the same value.

6. Nov 23, 2009 #5
    Mark44:

Hmm, how would I check without a function to integrate?

7. Nov 23, 2009 #6

Mark44

The function is 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook