Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changed my first tire

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    Changed my first tire!!!!

Yahoo! I am a computer nerd and not at all into autos. So when I found one of my car tires slashed this morning I was a bit in a panic. But I opened my owners manual and actually worked my way through getting the spare tire on. Woohoo I feel good!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait a minute -- why would someone slash your tires :eek: ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    Prolly some crackpot we banned :wink:

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
    Now go back and change the tire that was slashed. (just joking)

6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
    Great, you made it in the office at 14:52 !
    :tongue2: :rolleyes:

7. Apr 17, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Congratulations Greg!!

8. Apr 17, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

What is the world coming to when someone doesn't know how to change a tire before he's 6 years old? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, if you can come up the a name and address for the prick who did it, I'll teach you some other stuff that you might find satisfying.

9. Apr 17, 2008 #8
    I didn't know Drillbit Taylor posts on this forum :rofl: jk

10. Apr 17, 2008 #9

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    When I learned how (although I didn't have the physical strength at the time to actually do it), it involved peeling the tire off of the rim, patching or replacing the inner tube, and putting the tire back on the rim. That's what tire irons were for. The things that they call tire irons these days are just lug wrenches.

11. Apr 17, 2008 #10
    If you figured out how to change a tire, you can do a LOT more work on autos than you assume; changing a battery, spark plugs, brakes, suspension. I personally think changing a tire is harder than changing spark plugs... less strenuous at least. Heck, if you figured out how to change a tire, that's halfway through doing a brake job!

As much as I like making fun of automotive Haynes manuals... "installation is (99% of the time) reverse of removal":smile:

12. Apr 17, 2008 #11
    I still remember the look on a friend of mines face when I swapped a tire from one wheel to another by running over it with a car. I've never seen so much doubt from someone before in my life.

13. Apr 17, 2008 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Are you talking about just popping the bead, or something that belongs in a circus? I'm familiar with cracking a tire off of the rim by driving over it, but not actually changing one. :confused:

14. Apr 17, 2008 #13
    Sorry, yeah, just popping it. When he pulled up in his car to bring me the tire, he mentioned not seeing any kind of rim clamp changing machine. All I said was... "watch this..." lol.

15. Apr 17, 2008 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Age and treachery win out once again!

16. Apr 17, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You did toggle the throsin rod, I hope?

17. Apr 17, 2008 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

18. Apr 17, 2008 #17
    Yes after clamping the von burgers pipe :wink:

19. Apr 17, 2008 #18
    Autos? Not cars or wheels or vehicles? Here in Germany you're sort of obliged to drive snow/winter tyres in the season. But these are so soft that they would not survive summer temperatures. Therefore having a general pitt stop twice a year is mandatory, changing all tyres for summer or winter.

20. Apr 17, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Really! My dad brought home Willys Jeep when I was 10 and got some spare tires and rims in the bargain. He told me to change the tires the next day while he was at work and I started on the right-hand side and (using a cheater) I managed to break a bunch of studs. It turns out the military (in its infinite wisdom) specified that the threads of the studs and lug nuts on the right hand side of the vehicle needed to be left-handed and the ones on the left-hand sides needed to be right handed. Dad needed to order a bunch of new studs and lug nuts and we installed them that weekend.

21. Apr 17, 2008 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Luckily, I heard about that being somewhat of a standard for European (or Asian, I can't remember) vehicles when they first started showing up here. Our lawn mower actually had left-hand threads on the left-side wheel bolts so they wouldn't loosen during use.
    Since I'm ambidextrous, it didn't bother me. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?