Changes to the types of questions asked in specific sub-forums

• Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date
In summary, there has been a decrease in the number of math and programming questions being asked in the homework forums, possibly due to the popularity of a specific topic and the effectiveness of the search mechanism. This could also be attributed to the disruption of the spring semester and some members' lack of familiarity with Latex.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
In the homework forums, I'm seeing less of the kind of math questions that were asked in the past. There are hardly any programming questions anymore, maybe those people have gone elsewhere to find answers.

A bit off topic in my own post, but looking back with a bit of nostalgia, I think the most popular topic here at PF was DDWFTTW - directly downwind faster than the wind.

Likes atyy and hutchphd
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the search mechanism is so good everyone finds an answer there ... :wink:

Either that, or folks do less homework nowadays :rolleyes:

rcgldr said:
There are hardly any programming questions anymore, maybe those people have gone elsewhere to find answers.
The entire spring semester was upended and all homework forums have been affected.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
I meant for the last year or two, compared to say 5 years ago.

rcgldr said:
I meant for the last year or two, compared to say 5 years ago.
I haven't noticed that, But don't do the homework threads much. When equations are required to answer a question, we have members posting all kinds of equations.

Maybe some members, including me, haven't made the effort to learn Latex; one gets equation questions answered depending on the effort members are willing to make in purposing a good question. Just sayin'

1. What are the reasons for changing the types of questions asked in specific sub-forums?

There could be a variety of reasons for changing the types of questions asked in specific sub-forums. Some possible reasons include a shift in the focus or purpose of the sub-forum, the emergence of new technologies or research findings, or the need to address a particular issue or concern within the scientific community.

2. Will the changes to the types of questions impact the overall quality of discussions in the sub-forum?

The impact of changes to the types of questions asked in a sub-forum on the quality of discussions will depend on the specific changes being made. If the changes align with the goals and interests of the sub-forum, they may actually improve the quality of discussions. However, if the changes are not well-received or do not align with the interests of the community, they may have a negative impact.

3. How will the changes be implemented and communicated to the community?

The process for implementing and communicating changes to the types of questions asked in a sub-forum will vary depending on the platform and community. Typically, changes will be announced through a forum post or email, and members may have the opportunity to provide feedback or ask questions. The changes may then be implemented gradually or all at once, depending on the nature of the changes.

4. Will the changes affect the eligibility criteria for posting in the sub-forum?

The eligibility criteria for posting in a sub-forum may be affected by changes to the types of questions asked. For example, if the sub-forum is shifting its focus to a more specialized topic, the criteria may become more specific or exclusive. It is important to review the updated criteria to ensure that your posts are in line with the new guidelines.

5. Can members provide input or suggestions for the types of questions to be included in the sub-forum?

In most cases, members are welcome to provide input or suggestions for the types of questions to be included in a sub-forum. This may be done through a designated feedback channel or by reaching out to the moderators of the sub-forum. However, it is ultimately up to the moderators to decide which questions are appropriate for the sub-forum and align with its goals and purpose.