Changing complex numbers in form a+bi

In summary, the problem is to find the equation of a circle with a given radius that has a given cosine and sine at a given point. The equation can be found by solving for cosine and sine using de Moivre's theorem.
ME_student

Homework Statement

Here is the problem: ([itex]\sqrt{}6[/itex](cos(3pie/16)+i sin(3pie/16)))^4

Homework Equations

After 360*=2pier Do you add 2pier to the next degree which would be 30*=pie/6?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In situations such as these, it is usually easiest to convert to the exponential form and solve from there, then convert back to a+bi form.

ME_student said:
After 360*=2pier Do you add 2pier to the next degree which would be 30*=pie/6?
What do you mean by this? By "2pier" do you mean ##2\pi## radians or ##2\pi r##, the circumference of a circle? What is "the next degree"? After 360 degrees, the next degree is 361 degrees, no?

The greek letter [itex]\pi[/itex] is just spelled as "pi". It is not the same as the dish.

vela said:
What do you mean by this? By "2pier" do you mean ##2\pi## radians or ##2\pi r##, the circumference of a circle? What is "the next degree"? After 360 degrees, the next degree is 361 degrees, no?

Sorry, I couldn't find the 2 "pie" r.

No worry guys I figured it out. Wish I could post pictures... I would show you how I solved it.

EDIT: Sweet I can post pics now!

Here is the problem
0607021250.jpg

1-2.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Per daveb, I too think it would be much easier to convert to polar form first and then convert back. The reason is that the exponential lends itself to being raised to a power much more easily than the rectangular form.

What you get is

[tex](\sqrt{6} e^{3\pi i/16})^4 = 36 e^{3\pi i/4}[/tex]

This is what you got, after all, but you can do it in one line as opposed to resorting to a bunch of trig identities to square the rectangular form.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures...

Look up de Moivre's Theorem. It'll narrow down the tedious computation with multplying it out.

$$(cos(x)+i~sin(x))^{n} = cos(nx)+i~sin(nx)$$

Whoa... I was a member while taking trig, crazy!

So much easier when using Euler's formula. I can do it in my head rather quickly.

2milehi said:
So much easier when using Euler's formula. I can do it in my head rather quickly.

Good for you.

Just sayin' - if you recognize this

c9f2055dadfb49853eff822a453d9ceb.png

then the problem become easy to do. There are plenty of ways to skin the cat with this problem.

1. How do I convert a complex number from the form a+bi to polar form?

To convert a complex number from the form a+bi to polar form, you can use the following formula: r = √(a² + b²) and θ = tan⁻¹(b/a). The polar form of the complex number would be r(cosθ + isinθ).

2. What is the significance of converting a complex number from rectangular form to polar form?

Converting a complex number from rectangular form to polar form can be helpful in understanding the geometric representation of the number. The magnitude (r) represents the distance of the number from the origin, and the angle (θ) represents the direction or phase of the number.

3. Can you give an example of converting a complex number from rectangular form to polar form?

Sure, for example, to convert 3+4i to polar form, we first find the magnitude using the formula r = √(3² + 4²) = √25 = 5. Then, we find the angle using the formula θ = tan⁻¹(4/3) ≈ 53.13°. Therefore, the polar form of 3+4i would be 5(cos53.13° + isin53.13°).

4. How is the complex conjugate of a complex number related to its rectangular form?

The complex conjugate of a complex number a+bi is a-bi. It is related to the rectangular form of the number as it reflects the number across the real axis. In other words, the real part remains the same, but the imaginary part changes its sign.

5. Is there a shortcut for converting a complex number from rectangular form to polar form?

Yes, there is a shortcut called the polar form conversion shortcut. For a complex number a+bi, the polar form can be found by using the formula r = √(a² + b²) and θ = arctan(b/a), where arctan is the inverse tangent function. This shortcut can save time and avoid potential calculation errors.