1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Changing difficulty of courses

  1. Dec 23, 2010 #1
    My question relates to a subject I took last semester, which since then I have found out that a lot of students failed and complained that it was too hard and the lecturer wasn't satisfactory. The university has since removed that lecturer and simpified the content and the assessment pieces. Is this common practice in universities? I ended up getting a distinction in the subject, but people who have done the subject since it was revised may get the same or better mark. This seems unfair if GPA, positions, and bursaries are on the line. What do you think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2010 #2


    User Avatar

    It's common for faculty to rotate what courses they teach, it's just part of life. I ran into the situation many times and usually had the "more difficult" professor. The grades might have suffered a little bit, but I found that I understood the material a lot better than my classmates who took the "easier" class.
  4. Dec 23, 2010 #3
    This is the reason academic inflation exists, over time the degrees tend to mean less and less since it is an easy short term solution to just make things easier.
  5. Dec 23, 2010 #4
    Funny you should mention that, since I was of the opinion this beast exists up until yesterday, as well, but reading http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/gi.htm" [Broken] kind of made me revise that stance a bit.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Dec 23, 2010 #5
    Yeah I find my understanding seems to be a lot better, but still varying the degrees in the middle of an academic year seems wrong. But that's life I guess. Good to hear others have had the same experience. Thanks for the replies!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook