Changing equilibrium equations from cartesian to polar

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve the equilibrium equations in polar coordinates, but is having difficulty getting started. The first step is to express the equilibrium variables in terms of the stress components. Once this is done, the chain rule can be used to solve the equations.
rafehi

Homework Statement

Transform the equilibrium equations from cartesian to polar coordinates using x = rcos(theta) and y = rsin(theta):

[tex]\frac{\partial\sigma_{xx}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_{xy}}{\partial{y}} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial\sigma_{yx}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_{yy}}{\partial{y}} = 0[/tex]The answer is given as:

[tex]\frac{\partial\sigma_{r}}{\partial{r}} + \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial\sigma_{r\theta}}{\partial{\theta}} + \frac{\sigma_{r} - \sigma_{\theta}}{r} = 0[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial\sigma_{r\theta}}{\partial{r}} + \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial\sigma_{\theta}}{\partial{\theta}} + \frac{2\sigma_{r\theta}}{r} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've no idea how to proceed. I know how to obtain the result using a free body diagram (which is how we're supposed to solve the problem) but am curious as to how to do it by applying the transformations.

We've covered changing coordinates for integrals in vector calculus but never anything like the above. If anybody can help get me started or point me to some material that'd help me get my head around it, it'd be very much appreciated.

Not sure in which section to post it where to post it but this board seemed as good as any.

Physics news on Phys.org
You basically just need to apply the chain rule several times. For example,

[tex]\frac{\partial\sigma}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial\sigma}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial\sigma}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}=\sigma_r \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} +\sigma_{\theta} \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]

OK. I've tried implementing it but I'm confused as to how to get the final subscripts. Where did the last term in the first answer equation come from?

What I've attempted:

[tex]\frac{dr}{dx} = \frac{1}{cos(\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dx} = \frac{-1}{rsin(\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dr}{dy} = \frac{1}{sin(\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dxy} = \frac{1}{rcos(\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial\sigma_{xx}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_{xy}}{\partial{y}} = \frac{\partial\sigma_r}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_\theta}{\partial\theta}\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_r_\theta}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{y}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_r_\theta}{\partial\theta}\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial{y}}
[/tex]

by the chain rule. Have I expanded the second term correctly? The fact that stress (sigma) is a function of both x and y has me confused.

Anyhow, plugging in what I have:

[tex]
\frac{\partial\sigma_{xx}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_{xy}}{\partial{y}} = \frac{\partial\sigma_r}{\partial{r}}\frac{1}{cos(\theta)} + \frac{\partial\sigma_\theta}{\partial\theta}\frac{-1}{rsin(\theta)} + \frac{\partial\sigma_r_\theta}{\partial{r}}\frac{1}{sin(\theta)} + \frac{\partial\sigma_r_\theta}{\partial\theta}\frac{1}{rcos(\theta)}
[/tex]

I can see how I'll get the first term out of the above as 1/cos(theta) will equal 1 by the small angle approximation but I think I must have done a mistake as I can't see how I'll get either of the other two terms.

Again, any help greatly appreciated.

rafehi said:
[tex]
\frac{\partial\sigma_{xx}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_{xy}}{\partial{y}} = \frac{\partial\sigma_r}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_\theta}{\partial\theta}\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_r_\theta}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{y}} + \frac{\partial\sigma_r_\theta}{\partial\theta}\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial{y}}
[/tex]

by the chain rule. Have I expanded the second term correctly? The fact that stress (sigma) is a function of both x and y has me confused.

That doesn't look right at all. Why don't you start by showing me your calculation for [tex]\sigma_{xx}\equiv\frac{\partial^2 \sigma}{\partial x^2}[/tex] first.

How is sigmaxx equivalent to the d2sigma/dx2 when sigmaxx is just the normal stress acting in the normal direction?

It isn't the second partial derivative of sigma. Should've made that clear in the OP - I apologise. Likewise, sigmaxy is the shear stress pointing in the x direction acting in the y - z plane.

Again, I wasn't sure if this was in the appropiate section...

rafehi said:
How is sigmaxx equivalent to the d2sigma/dx2 when sigmaxx is just the normal stress acting in the normal direction?

It isn't the second partial derivative of sigma. Should've made that clear in the OP - I apologise. Likewise, sigmaxy is the shear stress pointing in the x direction acting in the y - z plane.

Again, I wasn't sure if this was in the appropiate section...

Okay, I see now.

In that case, the first thing you will want to do is to express [itex]\{\sigma_{xx},\sigma_{xy},\sigma_{yx},\sigma_{yy}\}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\{\sigma_{rr},\sigma_{r\theta},\sigma_{\theta r},\sigma_{\theta\theta}\}[/itex]...

1. How do you convert equilibrium equations from cartesian to polar coordinates?

To convert equilibrium equations from cartesian to polar coordinates, you can use the following equations:

x = r cosθ

y = r sinθ

Where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis. These equations can then be substituted into the original cartesian equations to obtain the polar coordinates.

2. What is the significance of converting equilibrium equations to polar coordinates?

Converting equilibrium equations to polar coordinates can be useful in certain situations, such as when dealing with objects that move in circular or rotational motion. It can also make it easier to solve certain types of problems in physics and engineering.

3. Can you give an example of converting an equilibrium equation from cartesian to polar coordinates?

Sure, let's say we have the cartesian equation x + y = 10. We can convert this to polar coordinates by substituting x = r cosθ and y = r sinθ, giving us the equation r cosθ + r sinθ = 10. This can then be simplified to r = 10/(cosθ + sinθ).

4. What are the limitations of converting equilibrium equations to polar coordinates?

One limitation is that not all equations can be easily converted to polar coordinates. Additionally, the conversion process may result in more complex equations, making them harder to solve. It is important to consider whether converting to polar coordinates is necessary or beneficial for a specific problem.

5. Are there any other coordinate systems that can be used for equilibrium equations?

Yes, besides cartesian and polar coordinates, there are other coordinate systems such as cylindrical and spherical coordinates. These are useful for solving different types of problems, and the choice of coordinate system depends on the nature of the problem at hand.