Changing limits of integration - definite integral (without u sub)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation \int_{-R}^{R} \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx = 2\int_{0}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx and how it can be solved using the concept of even functions. The conversation also explores the use of dummy variables in integrals and how they can be interchanged without affecting the final result.
aristotle_sind
Hello
Can someone please tell me how is: [itex]\int_{-R}^{R} \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx = 2\int_{0}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx[/itex]
where,
m and R are positive real numbers

This is how I'm trying to solve it...

[itex]\int_{-R}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx = \int_{-R}^0 \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx + \int_{0}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow \int_{-R}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx = - \int_{0}^{-R} \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx + \int_{0}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx[/itex]

Can't solve it any further :(

Physics news on Phys.org
It's true for any even function ##f(x)##. That means ##f(-x) = f(x)## so the graph is symmetric about the y axis. In your argument try ##x=-u## in your first integral at the end.

LCKurtz said:
It's true for any even function ##f(x)##. That means ##f(-x) = f(x)## so the graph is symmetric about the y axis. In your argument try ##x=-u## in your first integral at the end.

so I put ##x=-u## in one of the integrals .. this is what I get...

[itex]\int_{-R}^{R} \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx = \int_{0}^{R} \frac{\cos mu}{u^2 + 1}\,du + \int_{0}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx[/itex]

but now the two integrals on RHS have different variables .. How do I add them so the resulting expression becomes
[itex]2\int_{0}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx[/itex]

Last edited:
Show us what happens when you let ##x=-u## in your integral$$
\int_{-R}^0 \frac{\cos (mx)}{x^2+1}~dx$$

LCKurtz said:
Show us what happens when you let ##x=-u## in your integral$$
\int_{-R}^0 \frac{\cos (mx)}{x^2+1}~dx$$

I just changed my previous post .. can you please check that...

aristotle_sind said:
so I put ##x=-u## in one of the integrals .. this is what I get...

[itex]\int_{-R}^{R} \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx = \int_{0}^{R} \frac{\cos mu}{u^2 + 1}\,du + \int_{0}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx[/itex]

but now the two integrals on RHS have different variables .. How do I add them so the resulting expression becomes
[itex]2\int_{0}^R \frac{\cos mx}{x^2 + 1}\,dx[/itex]

aristotle_sind said:
I just changed my previous post .. can you please check that...

The ##x## and ##u## variables are dummy variables. You put the ##0## and ##R## limits in either and get the same answer from both.

Likes 1 person
Oh .. That clears everything up .. Thanks a lot mate...

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the area under a curve between two specific points on the x-axis. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and involves taking the limit of a sum of infinitely small rectangles under the curve.

2. How do you find the limits of integration for a definite integral?

The limits of integration for a definite integral are determined by the specific points on the x-axis that define the area under the curve. They are typically denoted by a and b in the integral expression ∫a^b f(x) dx, where f(x) is the function being integrated.

3. Can the limits of integration for a definite integral be changed?

Yes, the limits of integration for a definite integral can be changed as long as the new limits still fall within the original interval. This can be useful in certain situations where the original limits are difficult to work with.

4. What is the process for changing the limits of integration in a definite integral?

The process for changing the limits of integration in a definite integral involves substituting the new limits into the integral expression and adjusting the integrand accordingly. This may require using algebraic manipulation or trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

5. What are some common examples of changing limits of integration in a definite integral?

Common examples of changing limits of integration in a definite integral include using symmetry to evaluate integrals, converting the integral to polar coordinates, and using trigonometric substitutions. These techniques can make it easier to solve the integral and may lead to a simpler or more elegant solution.