1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing limits of integration

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Changing limits of integration

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int_{y=0}^\pi\int_{x= y}^{\pi}\frac{sinx}{x} dxdy[/tex]

Change the order of integration and evaluate the double integral.

2. Relevant equations

My professor told me, "This integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions". I'm not exactly sure what that means.

3. The attempt at a solution

sinx/x has always been a very common problem for differentiation and integration, so I'm confident I can solve this with a simple substitution. I'm trying to figure out, however, what they mean by not being able to be expressed in terms of "elementary functions".
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

The integral of sin(x)/x can't be done by any solution. It can't be expressed as a sum or product or quotient of any of the functions you see in calculus. Changing the limits to integrate with y first will allow you to actually do the integral.
  4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    So I assume representing sinx/x graphically, and then choosing the correct y limits is all their is to this problem? I'm at work, just trying to get a head start on this problem.
  5. Mar 17, 2008 #4

f(x,y) = sin(x)/x is a 2d- surface. Graph the limits, not the function. Then reverse the order so that y is a function of the x in the first integral.
  6. Mar 17, 2008 #5
    Ok, I see it, will mark as solved. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?