Changing supervisor before starting PHD (Europe)

• Programs
  • Thread starter testanon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Europe Phd
In summary: I think it would be best to have a completely different research area.In summary, it would be best for the student to switch supervisors.
testanon
I am starting a PHD in Europe at a top institution very soon. In the time since I have accepted the offer I have developed the feeling that I am more interested in working with a different supervisor on a different research area. They are both in the same subfield, but the nature of the research is very different. I would like to enquire if it is possible to switch. If that is not possible I am very happy to continue as is. I am very anxious about making this enquiry. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
This cannot be answered generally. It depends on the country, the university, the source of funding, etc.

While there may be provisions in the university rules for changing supervisors, those are mainly intended for situations where student and supervisor do not see eye-to-eye. For example, in my university you have the right to change supervisor as a student, however, it would probably not be very well received if you all of a sudden just decided that you liked someone else's research better. This would be particularly true if the funding for your PhD position was dedicated to your original project or supervisor (such as they getting a grant for having a PhD student do a particular project).

Without further information, there is little else that can be said.

Orodruin said:
This cannot be answered generally. It depends on the country, the university, the source of funding, etc.

While there may be provisions in the university rules for changing supervisors, those are mainly intended for situations where student and supervisor do not see eye-to-eye. For example, in my university you have the right to change supervisor as a student, however, it would probably not be very well received if you all of a sudden just decided that you liked someone else's research better. This would be particularly true if the funding for your PhD position was dedicated to your original project or supervisor (such as they getting a grant for having a PhD student do a particular project).

Without further information, there is little else that can be said.

Thanks for your response. The funding came out of a general pot. I could have chosen the other project at the time, but didn't. The difference between the projects is one is data analysis/statistics based, the other is numerical simulations.

1. What are the reasons for changing a supervisor before starting a PhD in Europe?

There could be various reasons for wanting to change a supervisor before starting a PhD in Europe. Some common reasons include a lack of compatibility or communication with the current supervisor, a change in research interests, or a better opportunity with a different supervisor.

2. Is it common to change supervisors before starting a PhD in Europe?

Yes, it is not uncommon for students to change supervisors before starting a PhD in Europe. It is important to find a supervisor who aligns with your research interests and provides adequate support and guidance throughout your PhD journey.

3. How can I go about changing my supervisor before starting a PhD in Europe?

The first step is to have an open and honest conversation with your current supervisor about your concerns and reasons for wanting to change. If this does not lead to a satisfactory resolution, you can approach the graduate program coordinator or department head for guidance on the process of changing supervisors.

4. Will changing my supervisor delay my PhD timeline?

It is possible that changing your supervisor may cause some delay in your PhD timeline, as you may need to familiarize yourself with a new research topic and build a new working relationship with your new supervisor. However, it is important to prioritize finding a suitable supervisor for a successful and fulfilling PhD experience.

5. Can I change my supervisor after starting my PhD in Europe?

While it is not ideal, it is possible to change your supervisor after starting your PhD in Europe if you encounter significant difficulties or incompatibilities with your current supervisor. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential impact on your research progress and seek guidance from your graduate program coordinator or department head.