1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing the Order of Integration in this Triple Integral

1. Dec 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate ##\iiint_D (x^2+y^2)\mathrm{d}V##, where ##D## is the region bounded by the graphs of ##y=x^2##, ##z=4-y##, and ##z=0##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So after over at least an hour of thinking, I might have all 6 orders of integration. Can someone check my answer please?

1:
    $$x=-\sqrt{y}\quad to\quad x=\sqrt{y}\\y=0\quad to\quad y=4\\z=0\quad to\quad z=4-y$$

2:
    $$x=-\sqrt{y}\quad to\quad x=\sqrt{y}\\y=0\quad to\quad y=4-z\\z=0\quad to\quad z=4$$

3:
    $$y=0\quad to\quad y=4-z\\x=-\sqrt{-z+4}\quad to\quad x=\sqrt{-z+4}\\z=0\quad to\quad z=4$$

4:
    $$y=0\quad to\quad y=4-z\\x=-2\quad to\quad x=2\\z=0\quad to\quad z=-x^2+4$$

5:
    $$z=0\quad to\quad z=4-y\\x=-2\quad to\quad x=2\\y=x^2\quad to\quad y=4$$

6:
    $$z=0\quad to\quad z=4-y\\x=-\sqrt{y}\quad to\quad x=\sqrt{y}\\y=0\quad to\quad y=4$$

I've been informed 3 and 4 are incorrect. Does anyone happen to know the correct bounds so I can know where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2
    Got two suggestions:

(1) Your results are poorly-formatted. What's being integrated with respect to what? Not easy to see and when you're asking for help you want to be as clear, concise, and to the point as possible as a courtesy to those helping you. Don't want to format it nicely huh?

(2) Do you have access to Mathematica or other where you can just check them yourself?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted