Why Do Vaguely Phrased Questions Attract More Responses in Online Threads?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of attracting responses to vaguely or poorly phrased questions, as well as the consistent dynamics that arise in online forums. One reason for this could be the tedium of debating the same topics repeatedly, making new and unique questions more appealing. Additionally, there is a desire for simplicity and power in responding to easy questions. However, there may also be an attraction to new and novel questions, as well as the potential for demonstrating knowledge and being seen as an expert. The conversation also touches on the trend of posting short, jumbled questions and the appeal of these "low hanging fruit" questions for both responders and askers. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about the influence of the "helpless, cute
zoobyshoe
One thing that seems to happen when a person starts a thread asking a question, looking for insight, is that the more vaguely or poorly phrased the question, the more attractive it seems to be to potential respondants. I find that interesting.

I'm wondering if anyone else finds this to be true, and what they think might explain it?

I'm also curious if anyone else feels there are consistant dynamics that crop up in threads?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it could be due to the tedium that happens for some of the old timers here on the board. I mean how many times can you debate determinism vs free will, or religion vs evolution, or how badly bush is screwing up our country? So when someone comes along with something new, I try and look at it objectively, and sometimes there is insight to be gained from even the most "out there" questions. I for one, am still trying to figure out just what TEN YEARS is getting at with this fishbowl analogy

*shrug* maybe I just have way too much time on my hands I think my badger post was evidence of that:wink:

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
I'm wondering if anyone else finds this to be true, and what they think might explain it?

Two of the many great motivating factors in human nature...simplicity and power. A quick post is easier to toss out than to wade through and critique someone's dissertation (especially when we get into PhD level physics). And demonstrated-knowledge is power in the quest to be the alpha-internet-pedant. Vague/poorly phrased questions are low hanging fruit.

Originally posted by Zantra So when someone comes along with something new, I try and look at it objectively, and sometimes there is insight to be gained from even the most "out there" questions.
So, you're saying you're more attracted to a question because of its novelty than because of it's vagueness. Do you ever notice any patterns that seem to crop up in threads? I often find myself thinking "Oh, this is happening again. I've noticed this in other threads."

Originally posted by Phobos And demonstrated-knowledge is power in the quest to be the alpha-internet-pedant. Vague/poorly phrased questions are low hanging fruit.
Insightful, accurate (in my opinion), articulate, even a touch poetic. This explanation is excellent far in excess of anything I anticipated.

Oh, this is happening again. I've noticed this in other threads.

Zooby, I think your perception of recurring dynamics in threads can be explained by a phenomenon of brain activity called a simple partial seizure...

Now don't you go dissin' my man zoob. :wink:

Maybe I should make zoobyshoe's last post my new sig line.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Last edited:
yes, very well put phobos-

Well, I'm one of them who usually posts jumbled confusing questions in short little posts as starts to threads...

People like answering those because like phobos said they're "low hanging fruit." Anyone can answer, there aren't any restrictions. They leave room for the imagination to roam and for everyone to make an opinion and the possibility that its right. Plus, they're funner than ridged, very specific questions.

Originally posted by Phobos Maybe I should make zoobyshoe's last post my new sig line.
Not a bad idea. Just remember to make your check out to: Mr. Z. Shoe's Quotable Endorsements,
not: Zoobyshoe.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Gale17
yes, very well put phobos-

Well, I'm one of them who usually posts jumbled confusing questions in short little posts as starts to threads...

People like answering those because like phobos said they're "low hanging fruit." Anyone can answer, there aren't any restrictions. They leave room for the imagination to roam and for everyone to make an opinion and the possibility that its right. Plus, they're funner than ridged, very specific questions.
In your case, Gale, there's an additional dynamic at work: the helpless, cute chick factor. Drives all the knights in shining armor wild.

1. What is "Chaos At Work In Threads"?

"Chaos At Work In Threads" is a phenomenon that occurs in complex systems, where small changes in initial conditions can lead to vastly different outcomes or behaviors. It is often referred to as the "butterfly effect" and is a fundamental aspect of chaos theory.

2. What causes "Chaos At Work In Threads"?

"Chaos At Work In Threads" is caused by the sensitivity of complex systems to initial conditions. This means that even small variations in the starting conditions of a system can have a significant impact on its behavior over time.

3. Can "Chaos At Work In Threads" be predicted?

While the behavior of chaotic systems may seem random, they still follow underlying mathematical principles. This means that although it may be difficult to predict the exact outcome, it is possible to understand and model the general behavior of chaotic systems.

4. How is "Chaos At Work In Threads" relevant to science?

"Chaos At Work In Threads" has many applications in science, including in meteorology, physics, and biology. It can help us understand and predict complex phenomena, such as weather patterns, population dynamics, and the behavior of fluids.

5. Is "Chaos At Work In Threads" always a negative thing?

No, "Chaos At Work In Threads" can have both positive and negative effects. While it can lead to unpredictable or undesirable outcomes, it can also create opportunities for creativity, innovation, and adaptation in complex systems.