Chaotic quantum billiards on a torus.

In summary, the conversation discusses wanting to perform a similar statistical analysis to a specific paper, but with different boundary conditions on a two-dimensional torus. The solution involves a summation expression and a problem arises when a Dirchlet boundary condition is imposed, making it difficult to solve. The speaker asks for any help or suggestions on how to approach this problem.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Hi, I want to do a similar statistics analysis as in the next paper:
http://www.phy.bris.ac.uk/people/Berry_mv/the_papers/Berry340.pdf

But the boundary conditions are on a two dimensioanl torus, so a solution will be of the form
[tex]u(R)=\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \sum_{m,n=0}^{\infty} (A_{mn} sin(mXcos(\theta_j)+nYsin(\theta_j)+\phi_j) + B_{mn} cos(mXcos(\theta_j)+nYsin(\theta_j)+\phi_j)[/tex] (have I got it right?!) the problem arises when I impose on it a Dirchlet boundary condition (for example), cause I need f to satisfy: [tex]u(x,0)=u(x,2\pi)=0[/tex] and [tex] u(0,y)=u(2\pi,y)=0[/tex]

Which doesn't look like something I can solve easily, can I?

Any help?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Surely there are familiar Fourier series tricks you can use with that summation expression...

1. What is a chaotic quantum billiard on a torus?

A chaotic quantum billiard on a torus is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of particles in a confined space with specific boundary conditions. In this model, the particles move freely inside a torus (a doughnut-shaped surface) and follow the laws of quantum mechanics, which makes their behavior unpredictable and chaotic.

2. What is the significance of studying chaotic quantum billiards on a torus?

Studying chaotic quantum billiards on a torus allows scientists to understand the complex behavior of quantum systems, which has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. It also provides insights into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and helps to develop new theoretical models and computational techniques.

3. How is a chaotic quantum billiard on a torus different from a classical billiard?

In a classical billiard, the motion of particles is described by classical mechanics, which follows predictable and deterministic laws. However, in a chaotic quantum billiard, the particles behave according to the laws of quantum mechanics, which are probabilistic and unpredictable. Additionally, the shape of the torus and the boundary conditions affect the behavior of particles in a chaotic quantum billiard, making it significantly different from a classical billiard.

4. What are the challenges in studying chaotic quantum billiards on a torus?

One of the main challenges in studying chaotic quantum billiards on a torus is the complexity of the mathematical models involved. These models require advanced computational techniques and high computational power to accurately simulate the behavior of particles. Another challenge is the interpretation of the results, as the behavior of particles in a chaotic quantum billiard is often difficult to predict and understand.

5. How does the shape of the torus affect the behavior of particles in a chaotic quantum billiard?

The shape of the torus plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles in a chaotic quantum billiard. The curvature and topology of the torus can significantly affect the quantum states of particles and their dynamics. For example, a torus with a larger curvature may have more chaotic behavior compared to a torus with a smaller curvature. Additionally, changing the boundary conditions of the torus can also result in different behaviors of particles.