Characteristic modes of oscillation of three masses on a hoop

In summary, we have found the characteristic frequencies of oscillation and the corresponding oscillation patterns for the three beads constrained to a circular hoop. The two modes are orthogonal, and their eigenvectors tell us the direction and magnitude of the oscillation for each bead. Keep up the good work!
yeahhyeahyeah

Homework Statement

Three beads of equal mass m are constrained to lie on a circular hoop of radius a = 1. The beads are connected by identical springs of spring constant k. The equations of motion for displacements are (I am going to use x, y, and z, where x = theta 1, y = theta 2, z = theta 3, because I suck at inserting greek symbols and respective subscripts. But just so you know, these are, I think, angular displacements??)

m(dx/dt) = k(y+z-2x)
m(dy/dt) = k(z +x-2y)
m(dz/dt) = k(x+y-2z)

Assume there are oscillatory solutions x(t) = xe^(iwt) (the real part of that) and so on. What are the characteristic frequencies of oscillation? What are the oscillation patterns? Because of the high degree of symmetry of the problem, you may be able to guess some of the characteristic modes, but show that you can choose modes that are orthogonal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I solved for the eigenvalues like this:

x -2 1 1
y . [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1 -2 1
z 1 1 -2

I got the Eigenvalues of -3 and 0

I think these are supposed to be orthogonal... since the matrix is symmetric

Since I am given that x = e^(iwt) is a solution...
i tried

(1/k)(iw)e^(iwt) = -3

but... i don't really know how to isolate the W frequency. Also I have no idea if I am on the right track, am I/

Thanks in advance for your time =)

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like you are on the right track! First, let's clarify a few things. The equations you have written down are indeed for angular displacements, and the eigenvalues you calculated are correct. However, the eigenvalues are actually -3k/m and 0, which have units of inverse time squared.

To find the characteristic frequencies of oscillation, we can use the formula w = sqrt(k/m), where w is the angular frequency and k/m is the spring constant divided by the mass. In this case, we have three identical springs, so the spring constant is just k. Therefore, the two characteristic frequencies are w = sqrt(3k/m) and w = 0.

As for the oscillation patterns, we can use the eigenvalues to find the corresponding eigenvectors, which will tell us the direction and magnitude of the oscillation for each mode. For the mode with eigenvalue -3k/m, the corresponding eigenvector is (1,1,1), meaning that all three beads will oscillate in unison with equal amplitude and in the same direction. This is known as the symmetric mode.

For the mode with eigenvalue 0, the corresponding eigenvector is (1,-1,0), meaning that the first two beads will oscillate in opposite directions with equal amplitude, while the third bead will remain stationary. This is known as the anti-symmetric mode.

These two modes are indeed orthogonal, as you can see by taking the dot product of their respective eigenvectors. The dot product of (1,1,1) and (1,-1,0) is 0, indicating orthogonality.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What are characteristic modes of oscillation of three masses on a hoop?

Characteristic modes of oscillation refer to the specific patterns or modes in which a system can oscillate or vibrate. In the case of three masses on a hoop, the characteristic modes refer to the different ways in which the masses can oscillate around the hoop, either in sync or out of sync with each other.

2. How do the masses on a hoop oscillate?

The masses on a hoop can oscillate in three main modes: in-phase, out-of-phase, and asymmetric. In the in-phase mode, all three masses oscillate in sync with each other, while in the out-of-phase mode, two masses oscillate in sync while the third oscillates in the opposite direction. In the asymmetric mode, all three masses oscillate at different frequencies and amplitudes.

3. What factors affect the characteristic modes of oscillation?

The characteristic modes of oscillation of three masses on a hoop are affected by various factors such as the mass of each individual mass, the distance between the masses, and the stiffness of the hoop. These factors determine the natural frequencies of the system and, consequently, the characteristic modes of oscillation.

4. How are characteristic modes of oscillation useful in scientific research?

Characteristic modes of oscillation are useful in scientific research as they provide a way to study and understand the behavior of complex systems. By analyzing the characteristic modes, scientists can determine the natural frequencies of a system and predict its response to external forces or disturbances, which can be helpful in various fields such as mechanical engineering, physics, and acoustics.

5. Can characteristic modes of oscillation be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, characteristic modes of oscillation can be controlled or manipulated by changing the factors that affect them, such as the mass, distance, and stiffness. By altering these parameters, it is possible to shift the natural frequencies of the system and change the characteristic modes of oscillation. This has practical applications in fields such as structural engineering, where controlling the characteristic modes of a structure can help improve its stability and performance.