• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Charge A High Voltage Capacitor

• Thread starter Endorser
  • Start date
Hey PF,

My old PSU from my computer blew and being a techy I desolded all the capacitors and micro resisters.

I currently have 2 x 200V 470u(micro)f and a 105k 250V capacitors and was wondering how I can charge them to there max capacity.

Is there any easy and non dangerous way to do this.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Delphi51
Homework Helper
I hesitate to encourage you, because if you knew enough to do it safely you would likely know how . . .
Ideally, you would connect each capacitor to a variable voltage power supply and turn it up to the operating voltage.
If you don't have access to one, you could build a little power supply. In fact, if you have a GFCI plug in (often found it the bathroom) it would even be pretty safe to connect one of those capacitors to the 120 V GFCI plug in through a diode rated at 400 Volts AND a 100 k ohm resistor in series, which would charge the capacitor up to more than 160 Volts. Use an old power cord from a discarded device and carefully insulate everything. Touching the charged capacitor will give you a good shock but it shouldn't be lethal if you are healthy.

those capacitors to the 120 V GFCI plug in through a diode rated at 400 Volts AND a 100 k ohm resistor in series, which would charge the capacitor up to more than 160 Volts. Use an old power cord from a discarded device and carefully insulate everything.
Is it possible to use a dc powersupply instead? and by safely I was refering to use any AC powerpoints as although i have a safety switch and a self made fuse box to ensure safety for myself and the mains i would prefer using a transformer

Delphi51
Homework Helper
The device I described IS a DC power supply. Definitely one with a transformer would be better. The resistor in series with the charging capacitor is important in limiting the current (100k ohms -> non-lethal) and protecting all components from high current while charging the capacitor.