1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge and energy of a conducting sphere

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A conducting sphere of radius 100cm is charged to a potential of 30 volts.
    a) What is the charge on the sphere?
    b) What is the energy stored in the field?
    c) If the sphere is connected to a second identical uncharged sphere by a long wire, what is the final energy in the system? You can neglect any interference.

2. Relevant equations

Q=CV
    C=4πεr
    U=(1/2)CV^2

3. The attempt at a solution

For part A I find the capacitance of the sphere so I can then apply Q=CV to find the charge.
    C=4π(8.85X10^-12)(100)=1.1X10^-8

Q=(1.1X10^-8)(30)=3.3X10^-7

For part B I used the energy equation U=(1/2)(1.1X10^-8)(900)=4.95X10^-6

I am pretty much stuck on part C. Since it is a conducting sphere the potential for both of them should be the same. So I tried equating both potential equations such as V=(kq1)/(r)=(kq2)/(r). Both spheres are identical so I get that q1=q2. Not really clear on how to find the final energy.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The wire connecting the two spheres is "long", so you can treat each sphere as being isolated.

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3
    So since each sphere has the same charge does that mean the final energy will double?

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What are the units? I see you've used "100" for the radius. 100 what? So what are the capacitance units you end up with?
    Again, what are the units for these?

6. Dec 10, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The final charge on each sphere is not the same as the initial charge on the one sphere (before the wire was connected).

7. Dec 10, 2015 #6
    If the initial sphere has charge Q and then you connect the spheres by a long wire then
    charge q will be transferred to the uncharged sphere.
    Now using what you know about electrical potential and electric currents
    you should be able to calculate the final charge configuration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted