Charge Density and Diract Delta Functions

In summary, when finding expressions for volume charge density, you can use the Dirac delta function for points (δ3()) and lines (δ2()), which have units of length-3 and length-2 respectively.
definerandom

Homework Statement

a) A charge q1 = q is at r'1 = -Di, and a charge q2 = -3q is at r'2 = Di. Find an expression for the volume charge density p(r).

b) An infinitely long wire along the z-axis has a uniform linear charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Find an expression for the volume charge density p(r) in cylindrical coordinates.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex](x) dx = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I'm not sure how to format my solution for the question, but I came up with this:
p(r) = [[tex]\delta[/tex](r - Di)(-3q) + [tex]\delta[/tex](r + Di)(q)]

b) I can't figure out how to do this with cylindrical coordinates. With Cartesian coordinates I came up with this:
p(x,y,z) = [tex]\delta[/tex](x)[tex]\delta[/tex](y)[tex]\lambda[/tex]

When I try with cylindrical coordinates, I realize that r must equal zero, so I know [tex]\delta[/tex](r) would be part of the expression; however, [tex]\theta[/tex] can be any value, as can z. That results in this:
p(r,[tex]\theta[/tex],z) = [tex]\delta[/tex](r)[tex]\lambda[/tex]
which has incorrect units for volume charge density.

Any help on this question is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello definerandom,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

If you want to get the units correct, perhaps consider using δ3(r) = δ(x)δ(y)δ(z) = δ(r)δ()δ(rsinθΦ) for points, and δ2(r) = δ(x)δ(y) = δ(r)δ() for lines (where the z component is not included in r in the second case).

[Edit: Modified the cylindrical and polar representations. Anyway, the point being is that you can square or cube the Dirac delta function as appropriate, noting that each Dirac delta function has units of 1/length (such as 1/meters, for example.)

[Another edit: So in other words, when dealing with points, you should end up with δ3(), which has units of length-3. When working with lines, δ2() which has units of length-2.]

Last edited:

1. What is charge density?

Charge density, also known as electric charge density, is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume at a given point in space. It is typically denoted by the symbol ρ and is expressed in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3).

2. How is charge density related to electric field?

The electric field at a point is directly proportional to the charge density at that point. In other words, the higher the charge density, the stronger the electric field. This relationship is described by Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What is a Dirac delta function?

A Dirac delta function, also known as a delta function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinitely large. It is often used as a mathematical tool to represent point charges in physics and is denoted by the symbol δ(x).

4. How is a Dirac delta function related to charge density?

In the context of charge density, the Dirac delta function is used to represent a point charge. This means that the charge density at a point can be written as ρ(x) = qδ(x-x0), where q is the charge of the point and x0 is the position of the point in space. This allows us to model and calculate the electric field and potential of point charges in an infinite medium.

5. What is the significance of charge density in materials science?

Charge density plays a crucial role in materials science as it is a fundamental property that determines the electronic structure and properties of materials. It affects the behavior of electrons and ions in a material, which in turn influences its electrical, optical, and magnetic properties. Charge density is also used to understand and predict the behavior of materials under different conditions, making it an essential concept in materials research and engineering.