Charge density required to create an electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the charge density necessary to create a given electric field. The relevant equation for this is ##\rho =\varepsilon_0\, \nabla \cdot \vec E##, which results in the expression ##\rho(x,y,z)=\epsilon_0(2ax+c)## for the given electric field. The meaning of this result is that in order to create the given electric field, one would need to place linearly increasing amounts of charges in space as the distance from the ##yz##-plane increases, with the right sign for the charges.
Cepterus

Homework Statement

Given an electric field $$\vec E(x,y,z)=\begin{pmatrix}ax^2+bz\\cy\\bx\end{pmatrix},$$with nonzero constants ##a,b,c##, I am supposed to find the charge density ##\rho(x,y,z)## which is necessary to create this field ##\vec E##.

Homework Equations

##\rho=\frac{\mathrm dq}{\mathrm dV}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that electric fields are created by charges, but I don't understand the connection between charge density and an electric field. As far as I understand the above formula, charge density is simply the amount of charge in a certain volume. How does this relate to electric fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need a different relevant equation: something like ##\rho =\varepsilon_0\, \nabla \cdot \vec E##

BvU said:
You will need a different relevant equation: something like ##\rho =\varepsilon_0\, \nabla \cdot \vec E##
Thanks! I get the result ##\rho(x,y,z)=\epsilon_0(2ax+c)##. If this is correct, what does it actually mean? Like, to create ##\vec E##, should I start with zero charge on the ##yz##-plane and then place linearly more and more charges in space the larger my distance to the ##yz##-plane gets? (with the right sign, of course)

1. What is charge density?

Charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit volume in a material or space.

2. How is charge density related to electric field?

The charge density of a material or space determines the strength of the electric field that it can create. A higher charge density results in a stronger electric field.

3. How do you calculate the charge density required to create an electric field?

The charge density required to create an electric field can be calculated by dividing the magnitude of the electric field by the permittivity of the material or space in which the field is created.

4. What is the unit of charge density?

The unit of charge density is typically coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3) in the SI system of units.

5. Can charge density be negative?

Yes, charge density can be negative if there is an excess of negative charge in a material or space. This can result in an electric field that is directed in the opposite direction of a positive charge.