Charge distribution in a resistor with a current

In summary, the claim is that a surface charge distribution is critical for the function of typical circuits. This is supported by a quantitative paper.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Consider a very simple idealized circuit, with a constant voltage emf, perfectly conducting wires and a resistor all in series. There is a potential drop across the resistor, given by Ohm's law: ##V = -IR##. I have read on the Internet that many people say that the potential drop is caused by a redistribution of charges either at the entry and exit of the resistor (a bit like a capacitor), or linearly distributed throughout the resistor. These charges would be held responsible for the electric field that counters the one produced by the emf.

However this doesn't make sense to me. I see no way that a simple perfectly resistive element would cause some electrons to pass through it with a drift velocity and others to just sit unaffected by the E field, solely due to the resistance.

Mathematically, the electric field inside the resistor should be worth ##\vec E = - \nabla V##, where ##V## is linear with respect to ##x##. So it means the electric field is constant through the resistor. I see no problem in thinking that it's the emf that is causing this constant electric field across the resistor, why on Earth would it need to be created by static electrons?

From a solid state point of view, the electrons are not well localized, and the very few ones that do feel the electric field of the emf (the ones near the Fermi surface), move at speeds near the Fermi velocity, i.e. about 2 orders of magnitude slower than light speed in vacuum. Mathematically, to describe the current, it's the same as if all the electrons had acquired a very small net drift velocity, while in reality what happens is quite different. But I see no way for resistance to redistribute the electrons. I see resistance directly linked to resistivity, i.e. scattering of the very few (quasi)electrons that can be affected by the ##\vec E## field with phonons, impurities and the boundaries of the resistor.

Is there a way to prove or discard that some charges are indeed static across the resistor?

Physics news on Phys.org
The charges are surface charges. They are necessary because the E field is discontinuous at the surface. Note, the surface charges exist on the perfectly conducting wire also, it has little to do with the resistance.

Last edited:
Dale said:
The charges are surface charges. They are necessary because the E field is discontinuous at the surface. Note, the surface charges exist on the perfectly conducting wire also, it has little to do with the resistance.
So the claim is essentially correct? Because the surface of the resistor at the junction between the wires and the resistor is actually inside the material. See fig.2 of that freely available paper: https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/10.1119/1.4731722

1. What is charge distribution in a resistor?

Charge distribution in a resistor refers to the way in which electric charge is spread out or distributed throughout the resistor. This distribution of charge is influenced by the flow of electric current through the resistor.

2. How does current affect charge distribution in a resistor?

Current is the rate at which electric charge flows through a circuit. As current passes through a resistor, it causes a redistribution of electric charge within the resistor. This results in a decrease in the amount of charge at the entrance of the resistor and an increase in the amount of charge at the exit of the resistor.

3. What factors influence charge distribution in a resistor?

The primary factors that influence charge distribution in a resistor are the material of the resistor, the length of the resistor, and the cross-sectional area of the resistor. These factors determine the resistance of the resistor, which in turn affects the flow of current and the distribution of charge.

4. How is charge distribution in a resistor measured?

Charge distribution in a resistor can be measured using an ammeter, which measures the flow of current through the resistor. By measuring the current at different points along the resistor, the distribution of charge can be determined.

5. What is the relationship between charge distribution and voltage in a resistor?

The relationship between charge distribution and voltage in a resistor is described by Ohm's law, which states that the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current passing through it. This means that as the charge distribution changes due to the flow of current, the voltage across the resistor will also change.