1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge particle in magnetic field

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    i have a problem to find the motion of motion and integrals in a magnetic field given the potential in cylinder quardinate A=(0,A(r,z),0) and i have trouble to even begin with.
    its part on a course called analitical mechanics with the course book ''mechanics'' by landau lifhsitz'
    the problem even dont mention in the book and i looked it in e.m book to no avail (jackson , greiner, griffiths)
    help please

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2
    Could you be more specific. Are you looking to determine the Lagrangian for example?

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3
    yes

5. Apr 6, 2015 #4
    Are you aware that the Lagrangian L can be written as T - V - M where M is referred to as a generalized potential not derivable from an ordinary potential as V which depends only on the coordinates and maybe time. M is a function of the coordinate, and velocity,and maybe time For a charged particle in a EM field
    M= - (e/c)V⋅A.

6. Apr 6, 2015 #5
    no i didnt know, i will try it
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook