1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge passing through a magnetic field of uniform magnetic flux density

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    upload_2015-4-5_11-42-42.png

My reasoning:

The magnetic force on charge q is

Fm = qv x B

B does not change |v|. Therefore, |Fm| is constant at time t > 0 and Fm is always perpendicular to the direction of movement of charge q. Fm behaves as a centripetal force, and thus the charge moves along the circumference of a circle.

Here is my drawing depicting what I think is happening:
    upload_2015-4-5_11-47-25.png

Now, knowing that an electric charge q either at rest or in motion, experience an electric force Fe in the presence of an electric field E, that is,

Fe = qE

Then if we have a charge q moving with velocity v in the presence of both an electric field E and a magnetic flux density B, the total force exerted on the charge is therefore

F
    = Fe + Fm = q(E + v x B)

which is the Lorentz force equation.

I am having trouble using what I have done so far and what I know about the magnetic force and electric force to compute the necessary electric force needed to make charge q move in a straight line. If the charge is moving in a circular path about the xy-plane under the influence of a magnetic field in the positive z direction, then the necessary electric field needed to counteract the circular movement of the charge and make it move in a straight line will be a combination of x and y coordinates, correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Correct.

What is the net force on the charge if it moves in a straight line at constant speed*?

*this is not required, but if you allow a variable speed things get really messy

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3
    If a charge experiences no net force, then its velocity is constant; the charge is either at rest (if its velocity is zero), or it moves in a straight line with constant speed. So the net force is zero.

5. Apr 5, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Right.

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5
    So we are given the initial velocity of v = aex + bey. The magnitude of the velocity vector has to be the same, but opposite in direction. So the necessary electric field is (with the magnetic flux density in there as well):

E = -bB_0ex + aB_0ey

correct?

7. Apr 5, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted