1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge vs. Electric Field Strength

1. May 20, 2008 #1
    The question in question:
    "If charge was plotted versus electric field strength; what shape of graph would you get? How would you straighten in? What quantity would the slope of the straightened graph represent?"

Related equation: |E|= F/q

Ignoring the graphing information, the question (as far as I gather) seems to be asking me to rearrange for q/|E|.

|E|q = F
    q = F/|E|
    q/|E| = F/|E|^2
    From that, plotting charge versus field strength results in Force versus the square of the field strength. Which doesn't seem very helpful at all. The units there are C/(N/C), or C^2/N.

So, my issue: Am I going about this in the right way? If so, where do I go from here? Does C^2/N represent anything of worth?

At a bit of a loss here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I think this is asking what you would plot so that the graph becomes a straight line.

You are correct in saying that [itex]E=\frac{F}{Q}[/itex] If you re-arrange for Q, you get
    [itex]Q = \frac{F}{E}[/itex]

How would you put that in the form Y=MX+C to get it into a straight line?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?